Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay first off thanks for all the help with my recent posts great site with wealth of info, maybe eventualy I will have something other than questions to offer.
In a recent post I talked about rebuilding the carb, 600 edelbrock on my 79 with 351m and how it striaghtened out an off idle stumle on acceleration very slight I should add almost like I have to just feather it or stab the throttle just slightly well I guess it didn't and when I drop it in gear it idles real rough doesn't die but acts like it wants to idles fine otherwise. Runs fine down the road good power. I am confident the rebiuld is fine on the carb. No obvious vacuum leaks have replaced all of the hoses with new. Vacuum advance is on right side as you look at the engine(is this right?)
Any one think it could be the intake gasket as it appears the front is blown out, gasket is sticking out and it looks like there is only gasket sealer no gasket on intake to head area ,have not diassembled yet just appears there is none. I am picking up a gasket set and valley pan set to eliminate this from the troubleshooting process. Or does anyone that knows more about these engines or have any other suggestions.
Thanks again Chris

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Some people opt not to run the rubber gaskets ; front & rear & use a bead of RTV instead. Personal preference.

Valley pan is a great idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the new valley pan/gasket installed also put on new cap and rotor. Engine runs much better not sure if the valley pan had alot do with it. I suspect the ignition parts were the culprit. Now a set of plug wires and new plugs are next and I think that will really bring some life to it. I did find that the two manifold bolts by the carb on the driver side were not very tight and all others seemed to be a tightened different more or less. I was pleased that under the manifold was really clean, wasn't sure what to expect.
So all in all couple oil leaks stopped and edelbrock intake cleaned up nice with pressure wash and cleaner and engine runs better/smoother.
Well on my way to working out most of the underhood issues now waiting for rear cap weatherstrip pcs from LMC then on to the interior- panels, seats,door weatherstripping(complete kit) something on the floor, dash lights,dash components,underdash wiring etc etc...well you know the routine.
Chris

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Every time I get an off idle stumble, its a vacuum leak...usually at the intake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I just put plugs and wires on it last night and it seems like it went pretty good this morning. Seemed like the stumblyness was gone but I am begining to find the rig is kind of a finicky bitch so we'll see how it goes after I drive it somemore.

·
Registered
297 Posts
mine acts a little finicky sometimes too mainly when its hott as hell outside and everything is new under my hood and i mean everything but i think its just an old ford thing but oh well its well worth the bs once in a while to own a sweet rig thats the only thing that sucks about em there is allways somthing that needs to be fixed exp when its being restored and drivin while doing it seems like u never get ahead but she will get there someday wont be soon enough though

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Does it still have the original timing set on it?

If so would be a nice upgrade to install a zero degree set in it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jake your post sums up pretty well the conclusoin I have come to, it is going to take time. The previous owner(s) really just halfassed alot on the truck so just working that out is a job in itself.
Okay so what is a zero degree timing set, parts etc? I will search it here. I will admit I am green as hell.
Thanks Chris

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
OK so back in 1979 FORD decided to install a 4 degree retarded timimg set in our trucks. Additionally the gear on the cam is made of nylon.
Modern dbl roller timing sets like Cloyes or Comp Cams have 3 keyway slots. They can be installed retarded, straight up (zero degree) or advanced.
If your timing chain is sloppy it will cause rough idling etc. The timing will wander all over the place. The nylon gears have been known to rot with age & heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts