Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I read pretty much all of the articles that came up in my search, but I still have a question. Does anyone know where to get the plastic lower bearing retainer? I need to replace the lower bearing and one of the tabs is shot on my retainer. I though there was a thread about using screws to repair this, but I can't find it in any of my searches.
Hey Ranger!! Want to rebuild my column?
Swamp

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
While on this subject, has anyone figured out how to get the slop caused by the two steel pins that wear on the lower pivot assembly?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger, I don't mean to sound simple, but no matter what I search under I can't find anything for the 79 tilt. can you help me out?
Swamp

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, what the he!! batman? Ranger,When I did my search on Jeff's I used "tilt column bearing" and all kinds of that stuff came except that one. So I checked your link and used "Lower column bearing" and it came up!
Thanks for the help! I'm going to throw one of my extra columns in for now, get that lower unit and an upper bearing ordered so along with my new signal switch I can do a full rebuild and then do the install in the Spring.
Swamp

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
And a hell of a lot cheaper! Drill a couple holes in the side of the column and give it a couple zaps with the welder. More than likely that bearing will outlive the Bronco.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Other than drilling them a little larger and using a roll pin not much you can do.
I did end up crushing mine lightly, which really seemed to tighten them up and "knurled" them a bit since used vice grips. Seemed like one shot deal when reinstalling, so make sure you are really ready to put them back if you attempt that.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The first thought in my head was, where the hell did he tack it at? Thinking, there's no way I'd tack it on the end and then I read the rest of the posts. Oh well, maybe I'll try that on my next one. I have a couple more to do.
Swamp

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
The first thought in my head was, where the hell did he tack it at? Thinking, there's no way I'd tack it on the end and then I read the rest of the posts. Oh well, maybe I'll try that on my next one. I have a couple more to do.
Swamp
I forget where I actually tacked it (didn't take pic), but I don't remember drilling holes (although that is a better idea). No end load at all though and keep in mind plastic held up there on most there for 30 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts