Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at a 79 bronco w/ a 400 and a C6. I'm wanting to use this as a daily driver and want to get the best mileage possible. (I realize the mileage will always be bad but I still would like the best possible.) I only drive 11 miles to work but I would like to take this on the highway too. What Automatic tranny would work best (w/ the least amount of work...ha).

Thanks for your time.

edit. I'm looking for this to be cruiser/slight offroading w/ power when i need it. I won't be tearing up the countryside w/ it (not that there's anything wrong w/ that).

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The time invested and costs to upgrade to a auto trans with OD will likely negate any mileage benefits you'll get for a foreseeable future.

Its not worth the effort if the only reason is to gain a few MPG.

Now if you just want an auto trans with OD, that is a different story.

·
Registered
331 Posts
it would definitely not be worth it for 6,000 miles a year... 60,000? sure...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas. I would think i could do better by tuning the engine for optimum fuel economy. I don't know why I jumped straight to transmission. change of topic but what about rear end gearing for power/economy (can you have both?), the truck has 33's.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
An OD unit will run you about $2500...probably take a few years to pay that off. Even if your mpg's went from 10mpg's to 15, it would take you about 70 tanks of gas to break even. That being said, I think a tune up is definitely the way to go. I just regasketed, resealed, replaced fluids/filters and replaced the timing chain and I went from 8.5 to 10.5 mpg's city and went from 11 to 13.5 highway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts