Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will my 8.8 rear end be able to handle 38's if occasionally off-roaded? Is there anything that i could do to make it stronger? I plan on putting 4.56 gears, as well as a locker in. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
I doubt it would last very long. I would go 10.25, or alot of people here say the GM 14 bolt is a good axle and alot cheaper than the 10.25
 

·
negative creep
Joined
·
8,651 Posts
putting 4.56 gears and a locker in is only going to put more stress on it. 38s are big tires, and the 8.8 is not known for strength.
 

·
FSB's Bastard Child
Joined
·
2,047 Posts

·
Diesel Gynachologist
Joined
·
11,531 Posts
Bronco Buster said:
I know . . . I know . . . go SAS right?
ONLY if you use it, Im sick of everyone doing an sas just cause its the "cool" thing do put under your truck.

I would run anything over a 37 on an 8.8. even that is pushing the limit of what the 8.8 will hold up too.
 

·
my precioussssssss
Joined
·
877 Posts
Dustin said:
ONLY if you use it, Im sick of everyone doing an sas just cause its the "cool" thing do put under your truck.
Who the F%@# are you to dictate what other people do to there truck? And more importantly, if your letting it get under your skin, you should seak help :wacko
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,512 Posts
I have already had my 8.8 start to leak where the tubes meet the pumpkin with 35's on it .......... this is with relativly "light" duty by my standerds

take it for what it's worth .... I have a 10.25 ready for when and if, I can ever afford my front D60 .... I will go no larger on the tires until my axles can handle it ... I worry about my TTB and 8.8 getting me home sometimes with the 35's ... why ask for trouble?
 

·
hates EVERYTHING!
Joined
·
11,451 Posts





Depends on your terrain...:shrug (ask the "dixie" boys...I don't baby it!)
I'm sure in time a stronger axle would last longer but, you can take care of it and make it work! :shrug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont know if i want to hassle with a sas in the front, and beefing up the rear, i dont know if i will have enough money. Im thinking maybe i should just keep my 35's and put locker front and rear with 4.10 gears.
 

·
Diesel Gynachologist
Joined
·
11,531 Posts
EvilBronc said:
Who the F%@# are you to dictate what other people do to there truck? And more importantly, if your letting it get under your skin, you should seak help :wacko
christ dude you totaly took that the wrong way....I wasent dictating shit. I was just stating an opinion. Im just sick of everyone wanting to do an sas and dont even really need to do it. Its one thing if you wheel your rig and can benift from the swap, but just to do it to say you have done it is stupid.
 

·
tired of your sh!t
Joined
·
2,880 Posts
Im sick of everyone doing an sas just cause its the "cool" thing
ya me too. Since the beginning of mbb you all wanted to be as cool as me. :goodfinge
 

·
my precioussssssss
Joined
·
877 Posts
Dustin said:
christ dude you totaly took that the wrong way....I wasent dictating shit. I was just stating an opinion. Im just sick of everyone wanting to do an sas and dont even really need to do it. Its one thing if you wheel your rig and can benift from the swap, but just to do it to say you have done it is stupid.
OK, I was grumpy at the time. But just to let you know, IMO it is stupid for someone to buy a ttb lift because an axle swap can be done for a fraction of the cost :santa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,162 Posts
You guys did a SAS to wheel it? :brownbag :brownbag

Thats strange, I am doing it just to get in this one chicks pants :toothless
 

·
huh
Joined
·
7,195 Posts
my 8.8 cracked with 38"s.. 6 cracks under the spring perches to be exact.. my pops said that it looked a bit bent too but i never checked..
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top