Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Jeeper in need of some Ford Axle Help.

I just swapped a Full size 8.8 from an 87 into my Jeep. I had planned on doing a Moser 33 spline axle and spool package but apperently the c/clip elims are only for the car 8.8's.

1st, What is the difference between the truck tube end and the car tube end?

2nd, Who make a good roller bearing c-clip eliminater for kit for the 8.8?

After I came across the 33 spline package I have found a few other places that offer 33's for the fullsizes axle as well along with spools, and I am dead set to put them in. The part I can work out it the c-clips. I would have thought that with the 94 lightnings coming with the 8.8 that I could find something on SVT performace sites. But no luck

I am starting to suspect that I am going to have to swap in some 9" tubes. I really hope that there is another way. The last thing I want to do is refab all my Suspension braketry again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't aware that Superior made a kit for the full size. I have only been able to find the Exploder kit. I know I could use their elims if I wanted to use 31 spline axles. I am pretty sold on the 33 spline now and I can't find anyone who make a locker for the 33's. Strange make a custom LSD and there are a lot of spools out there for the bigger shafts.

Us jeep guys love the 8.8 for many reasons.

1) for a vehicle of our weight it's as strong if not a little stronger than a D60
2) its stronger than a D44
3) have you ever had a D35-C? Anything is a 900% improvement
4) Practicly the same axle as a 9" as far as strength (In stock form)

I wanted to be a little different and go full width with mine. I hav't seen anyone do that yet. As far as the 9" goes, it mearly a matter of $. IMO the 9" is the best axle for any application. HP, large bearings, spooled with 40 spline shafts. How do you break that in a 3500lb trail rig? I could have put a big 9 in the rear but I would have spent my budget to swap out my front axle in the process. Also I hadn't planed on going with bigger shaft originally so there was no strength gain in the 9", other than the carrier which can be solved with a Diff cover that has a girdle.

I really am not intrested in the c-lims b/c jeeps are soo light. If I could find a locker for the 33's I'd probly go that way even though it cost a little more. But I can't. As long as you use a "tapered roller bearing" the side loads and (street use) is not an issue.

Someone please help!!! I am starting to think I'm going to have to settle for a detriot w/ 1541H 31 spline alloys in lue of spooled 4340 33 splines. Eventhough it was my original plan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts