Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

8.8 Axle Shafts?? All the same??

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  workinonit 
#1 ·
I stripped my axle shafts in my 8.8, and need to replace them quick and cheap, are all 8.8 28 spline axle shafts the same? can i use the axle shafts from an older mustang? Please Help

#3 ·
workinonit said:
I stripped my axle shafts in my 8.8, and need to replace them quick and cheap, are all 8.8 28 spline axle shafts the same? can i use the axle shafts from an older mustang? Please Help
Depends on what you are using them for. Some rangers had 8.8's with 28 spline (i'm pretty sure of that), but the differential is not centered on a ranger because of gas tank issues, so in a ranger 8.8, there are two different length shaft.

#4 ·
It depends on what your working on. If you have a Mustang, then you can use axles from the 7.5 and 8.8 rearends from 79-93. You can also use 2 passenger axles from a Ranger to do a rear 5 lug conversion on a Mustang/Fox body Ford. Let us know what you have and we can point you in the right direction.

#6 ·
None2Slow said:
You can also use 2 passenger axles from a Ranger to do a rear 5 lug conversion on a Mustang/Fox body Ford. Let us know what you have and we can point you in the right direction.
Aren't the passenger axles too short?

#7 ·
Im working on a 86 full-size bronoc and the axles i was going to replace the stripped pair with are ia pair of 28 spline Mustang axles from a 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 with an 8.8, Im pretty sure the stock ones were 28 spline, maybe i miss counted, i ll check later on today and get back with yall.

#9 ·
workinonit said:
Im working on a 86 full-size bronoc and the axles i was going to replace the stripped pair with are ia pair of 28 spline Mustang axles from a 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 with an 8.8, Im pretty sure the stock ones were 28 spline, maybe i miss counted, i ll check later on today and get back with yall.
Thats why their stripped, Trucks/broncos use 31 spline, while the Mustang and other cars use 28 spline

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.