Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really did search this out and couldn't find what I was looking for. I have found that the rear brake drum internals are interchangeable between the 8.8 and the 9", but for some reason I remember seeing somewhere that you can't pop the brake assembly off the 8.8 and install it on the 9". Could someone clear this up for me?

I swapped a 9" from a 1979 Bronco in to my 1990 to replace my 8.8, but the brakes on the 9" are shot (no brake...no brake...no brake....GRAB!!! SQUEEEL!!!) and I really don't have the money to go and service the brakes, so I would like to just remove the entire drum break setup from the 8.8 and slap it on the 9" without having to mess with all the internals.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Look to see if the backing plates have the same bolt patern. I looked at a disk brake set up once on a 8.8 for my 9" but the pattern was diffrent in that case so it wouldnt work. Good luck.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,865 Posts
the brake hardware will swap over. i completed this a few years back with Crazed help. the drums from the 8.8 will not work on the 9". new 9" drums are cheap though so i would consider that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts