Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discs Brakes - nice stopping power and retain broken axle (pre '95 had drums)
i was wondering if anyone knows how to or has a link on doing an explorer disc brake conversion on an 8.8

i know its probably a waste of time, but it would be nice to have a way to retain broken axles and stop better.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
this would be some great info because i am to lazy to swap in a whole axle so i would love to see this info..pleassssseeee someone

·
I break chit
4,685 Posts
Hdpsd said:
aren't exploder lug patterns like 5x4.5?
That doesnt matter just use the hard ware to attach them and then the rotors from the front of the truck. i think it will work.... just dont have the time with the stroker motor build up. nor the ambition

·
Registered
155 Posts
Front rotors aren't going to work because they are pressed onto the wheel hub where these rotors are "hat" style and have their own wheel lug holes.
Furthermore aside from being bling-bling rear discs aren't going to help you that much unless you are running alot of mud. I've never had a problem locking up the rear brakes on my '90 (despite the fact that it supposedly has RABS) so what are rear discs going to do, make then lock up even more? :wacko
If you are running tires big enough that they are overpowering your rear drums, it's time to toss out the 8.8 anyway... :chili:

Rade

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OffRoadPoser said:
so what are rear discs going to do, make then lock up even more?
Discs Brakes - nice stopping power and retain broken axle
thats what i am hinting at.

EDIT: drums also have more all out holding power because they have a larger braking area. they don't clean or dissapate heat as well tho, so the increased holding power goes to waste when the brakes fade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts