Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have started to notice that my 95 trac-loc rear end is grinding in corners under heavy or light acceleration. It is not a constant grinding and ends right after the truck is brought back to the straight line position. I do know that the Trac-loc is almost cooked, as it hasent been doing to well this winter. Has anyone had this problem before, or does anyone know the solution. Any info would be great.
Thx Jay:rockon

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Why did you put a GM rear end in your Bronco? I wonder if changing the fluid in your dif and adding a bottle of that additive for trac locs would make a difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who said anything about a GM rear end its a 8.8 ford with a Limited slip trac-loc. So Steve if i was to rebuild the trac-loc would that be the answer to my problem or is it a must for a new limited slip unit.
Thx Jay

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I'd just find myself an 8.8 or a 9 to throw in there, not even bother opening the rear case. You can pick either up for less then 150 all day and just bolt it back in underneath. Finding a trac-lok might be difficult, but eh.

Problem with the minispool is...its a different carrier. Your LS carrier is weaker and you cannot just pull out the LS parts and put in the minispool. You have to replace the carrier which means removing gears and such. Get the drift?

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I thought you just mis-spoke and I was being a smart ass and thinking of the GMs posi trac.
I guess no one thinks changing the gear oil and throwing in the posi additive wouldn't make any difference.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
waltman said:
I thought you just mis-spoke and I was being a smart ass and thinking of the GMs posi trac.
I guess no one thinks changing the gear oil and throwing in the posi additive wouldn't make any difference.
well, he didn't mis-speak, but you are right, it's a simple cover that needs to be removed so the internals can be looked at. I wouldn't even think of doing anything until I attemped to inspect what is going on.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I thought I read on the side that it was an 80's Bronco. :doh0715:

Yeah, unless you wanna go through the mess I am making a 9 be friendly with my PSOM, nevermind the 9" part.

Can you R&R the Trac-lok parts without having to fudge with the gears and having to set the diff back up again? I'm not fond of the T-lok though..

·
Registered
27 Posts
waltman said:
My 95 was doing the exact same thing. Last Saturday I removed the differential cover and inspected it. I didn't see anything grinding, although there seemed to be more play than I expected. I cleaned it out, put the plate back on and then filled it back up with gear oil and one tube of whale sperm.:toothless It is much better now.:thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts