Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was changing fluids in the daughter's '90 and just got to the rear end. Drained it, pulled the cover off and found these mystery pieces laying in the bottom.

Am I doomed to writing more bad checks to fix this? Or will it hang tough for another 5000 miles? (I did notice a lot of slop in this when I had the rear axle off the ground while adjusting the rear brakes, and the occasional clunk when leaving a stop sign------is this why?)......

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Yup, it's toast. Those are the tabs off the frictions and steels in the clutch packs, along with a few other "goodies". It needs rebuilt.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So can I drive this 5000 miles in this condition without the whole diff blowing up? Or am I just asking for trouble? I kinda need to know real soon, cuz if we can't drive this truck for our Americana road trip, then we'll have to take the F350.........

·
Registered
240 Posts
I changed my axle seals summer of '05 and found those same pieces when I drained the fluid. I drove it 4 more years until I put new clutches in the limited slip. You should be OK, just don't be surprised that your L/S only spins 1 tire in the mud!

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Mine did the same thing, I dug out a hand full of much smaller pieces but I'm suspecting the same thing happened to mine as far as clutch discs crappin out. Mine doesn't make a lick of noise but I don't drive it long distance and wouldn't take it on a long trip. I think for obvious reasons no one would give you the go ahead to drive it 5000 miles.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed my axle seals summer of '05 and found those same pieces when I drained the fluid. I drove it 4 more years until I put new clutches in the limited slip. You should be OK, just don't be surprised that your L/S only spins 1 tire in the mud!

Would this explain why when I was up on the jack stands the other day and I spun the left tire forward the, the right one went backwards?.........

·
penis
3,320 Posts
Your gear appear to be fine just looks liike the friction material went, looks like what happened was someone didn't put the limited slip additive in it and just chewed it up. As for the 5000 miles you should be fine mostly highway I assume, offroading I wouldn't recommend though.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Take the ring gear out, and use 4hi :toothless

If it's your only choice, I'd say drive it, the rearend in my 88' bko growled a little, but I drove it for 2 years, and beat on it hard a couple of times (towing, off roading etc) and it never blew up...however, it's still a gamble. I agree though, doubt you'd have any serious issues...

KC

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,511 Posts
Just go find a used unit in a pick-n-pull yard and swap it out. Service it, and you're ready for your trip!

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just go find a used unit in a pick-n-pull yard and swap it out. Service it, and you're ready for your trip!

The odds on me getting that done by 4:30 tomorrow are just slightly higher than me waking up in the morning in a crowded tent full of naked NFL players............

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I replied awhile ago with a picture but not sure where it went...

Anyhow you should be fine to drive it...You just won't have a functioning LSD

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd say just spend $65 on amazon for a 8.8 LSD rebuild clutch kit. Has all the clutch discs, friction discs, friction modifier and a new cross pin retaining bolt. It's the cheapest I found last month when I had a diff that looked like yours. Cheap and effective

1 - 16 of 16 Posts