Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... i've searched for a while and can't find anything supporting/negating this

in a ford 8.8 axle when installing a lunchbox locker(aussie in this case) into a limited slip factory carrier will it work??... or will an open carrier have to be used??... the instructions are kind of vague in this area but make it sound like a limited slip carrier won't work

i was hoping for some feed back firsthand from anyone with a limited slip out back from the factory that has successfully installed a lunchbox locker without getting a new carrier.... or if when you did it you had to locate a open carrier

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
IIRC there are two types of lunchbox lockers for the 8.8,
ones desighned to fit an open carier and ones desighned to fit a limited slip carier

They are not interchangable.

IIRC

·
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well.. we have two broncos (one open/one limited slip) and ordered two lockers.... aussie only sold one kind for the 8.8 and didn't address this... i've heard they have excellent customer support and you can pretty much PM em on pirate and get a respose... but i don't really like pirate much... guess i should try it though if i don't hear anything definate over here

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
bigbroncojeff said:
well.. we have two broncos (one open/one limited slip) and ordered two lockers.... aussie only sold one kind for the 8.8 and didn't address this... i've heard they have excellent customer support and you can pretty much PM em on pirate and get a respose... but i don't really like pirate much... guess i should try it though if i don't hear anything definate over here
I don't have exp. with the aussie, but as Gacknar stated, the other lunchbox brand I know of sells a unit meant for LSD carriers and one meant for open, and they are not interchangeable. Their site was a bit confusing on this as well, but they at least call them slightly different names IIRC, would have to go visit their site again. Really though, if you can avoid it, don't use a drop in locker meant for the factory LSD carrier. The carrier has had a lot of material removed to accomodate clutches and they have problems just surviving with a clutch system in them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im putting another Aussie in my 8.8 too, i dont remember where i read it but i know that the aussie only fits in an open diff, otherwise i would have one right now. No money for a new carrier though....yet.

·
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys... at least it's my brothers bronco with the lsd and not mine:rofl: ... mine will be going in soon

and aussie confirmed it as well.... for my bro it's not so much paying for another carrier as it is ressetting the gears backlash and what not

i'll go ahead and paste in aussies response in case anyone searches this

Thank you for your purchase of the Aussie Locker. As we note in a couple of locations on our web site, the Aussie Locker is designed to be installed in an "open" carrier. What you will need to do, is to obtain an open carrier from a salvage yard, on the internet or from an aftermarket diff shop and replace the posi. In doing this you will have to reset the backlash, so you will need to get someone with the proper tools and mechanical knowledge for this changeover. You can do the "open carrier" Aussie Locker install yourself if you have some mechanical aptitude and experience.

Let us know if you have any further questions. Best place to contact us is at [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts