Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a difference between spider gears for an open carrier and a trac-lok? I guess I ordered the wrong damn gears or so the shop says...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i found out that trac-lok spiders are a dealer only item. hooray. now i either have to buy a whole new carrier, or get them from the stealership.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does no one know about spider gears? i was hoping to get some input on this

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
dub said:
is there a difference between spider gears for an open carrier and a trac-lok? I guess I ordered the wrong damn gears or so the shop says...
I blew up my 8.8

two springs ago and swapped in a factory LS differential (axle and all) and to be honest I never thought to look. From the pic I took and looking at the wrecked diff I can't see any visual difference;

I can't lay my hands on the Ford Motorsports catalog right now, but that'd be the place to check and verify part numbers to see if they are actually different.

A call to the stealership is free though. Ask the for spider gear kit for an LS rear end and then phone another Ford dealer and ask about a kit for an non-LS rear end.

Hope that helps

Sixlitre

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you six.

does ford call spider gears "side gears"?? i called the dealership and that's what they told me i needed, but it sounds a little funny, he was saying something about pinion gears...

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
dub said:
thank you six.

does ford call spider gears "side gears"?? i called the dealership and that's what they told me i needed, but it sounds a little funny, he was saying something about pinion gears...
there's only one pinion gear

and it meshes into the one ring gear. All others in there are indeed called wither of the two names you already know.

Try that trick to llok up the part numbers for locking and non and see what you find.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
76 Posts
The side gears and clutch plates for the LSD are splined (where they contact each other on the outside surface), and the open diff side gears are just round in that area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.