Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Why is this in the emergancy section?
Unless it is a shit load, don't worry about it, dodges are usually worse.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Mine has a bit of play in it. I couldnt' tell you off the top of my head, but there should be some play there. If there isn't, your pinion will bind on the ring gear. Conversely, too much play and your pinion gets a "Head start" and rams the ring gear into peices. I'd say mine is roughly an 1/8th of a turn at the max, maybe 3/16ths or so?

·
Registered
199 Posts
89bronc302 said:
How much should i be able tgo turn the pinion before it actually starts turning the wheels? thanks im new to this site and the bronco family and hope to find out alot here thanks:rockon
Check your pinion nut. Apparently they come loose all the time and it allows slop and clunking noises. Eventually thing go boom!

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
could just be the gearing

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
The turning is your pinion and ring gear mesh, depends on how much backlash you have. Too little and the pinion is so tight that it can bind and wear you ring gear, eventually ruining it. Too loose, and the pinion can load up on the ring gear and cause chipping and such. That's why differentials can't just be messed with at will, the gear pattern has to be within thousandths of an inch in 3 different planes to work properly for reliability and performance.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
89bronc302 said:
well whats considered a shitload?
In my opinion, a shitload is when it sounds like you have a bad u-joint every time you give it gas. If you are worried about it, take it to a drive line shop and see what they think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts