Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 8.8 grenaded on me last week in my 87 F-150. Was just going to swap in a 60 that a friend of mine has laying around with the proper gears (3.54), because I thought the absence of the tone ring would only make me lose my ABS, but now I seem to find that this could also affect the speedometer sensor. Was the speedo sensor used as early as 87? I know I replaced the speedo gear because it went to hell and I lost my speedometer, but is there a seperate speed sensor on the rear axle that only talks to the computer?

This weekend is the time to get the truck fixed, so I'm kind of under the gun. Any info would be appreciated.

Boots

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
No, not on your 87. The speedo on yours is in the rear of the t-case. They started doing the speedo/abs sensor (actually called the Velocity Speed Sensor) in the rear axle in 92.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dude, do the swap, ditch the RABS.

·
tired of your sh!t
2,880 Posts
If you have the E4OD transmission, it won't work any more
It still works,only in a default type mode. I tried it on mine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I've got the 435. So I guess I can kiss that POS ABS goodbye!

Goodbye and good riddance! I never wanted ya in the first place!

Full floater 60 here I come. So what if I have to carry two spare tires. :thumbup

·
Registered
506 Posts
it is possible to convert a ttb to 8 lug using chebbie parts. Mine used to me that way. Here's a link:
Click here

Congrats on ditchin the rabs. I leave the light on in the dash just so I can look at it and feel the satisfaction of knowing its broke.:toothless

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link, I'll keep that in mind.

Almost seems like a lot of effort to go thru on that dogshit TTB axle. As my hatred for it grows, I keep considering figuring myself into a SAS on leaf springs in the front. Where there's a will theres a way.

Probably not this winter tho. :)

Boots

1 - 7 of 7 Posts