Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the specs on a 1994, It says to add 5.5 pints of gear oil and 4 oz of f/m.
I filled 96 oz plus the 4oz .100 oz total and it still has not reached the fill hole level all the threads say to fill to. I did not spill any oil, 3 32 oz bottles plus the f/m, what gives. When i put my finger in the fill hole i cannot feel the oil.

·
Super Moderator
26,998 Posts
yo,
In my 96 8.8 Workshop Manual
You have it right-on w/ the 5.5 pints.

Check for Leaks yet?
Analysis of Leakage

Most rear axle leakage conditions can be corrected without a teardown. However, it is important to clean up the leaking area enough to identify the exact source.

A plugged rear axle housing vent (4022) can cause wheel or pinion seal leaks due to internal pressure buildup.

Make sure axle lubricant level is 6.4-14.2mm (1/4-9/16 inch) for Ford axles or 6.4-19.1mm (1/4-3/4 inch) for Dana axles below bottom of fill hole.

Flange Yoke Seal

When the rear axle drive pinion seal (4676) leaks, it is usually because it was not installed carefully or properly, or because of poor quality on the seal journal surface.

Any damage to the seal bore (dings, dents, gouges or other imperfections) will distort the seal casing and allow leakage past the outer edge of the rear axle drive pinion seal.

The rear axle drive pinion seal can be torn, cut or gouged if it is not assembled carefully. The spring that holds the rear axle drive pinion seal against the rear axle universal joint flange (4851) may be knocked out, allowing leakage past the lip.

The rubber lip can harden (like plastic) with cracks at the oil lip contact point, especially in presence of high temperatures. The contact point on the rear axle universal joint flange is usually black, indicating excessive heat. Marks, nicks, gouges or rough surface texture on the seal journal of the rear axle universal joint flange will also cause leaks. Excessive rear axle drive pinion seal wear will be noted. The rear axle universal joint flange should be replaced if any of these conditions exist.

Metal chips or sand trapped at the sealing lip also may cause oil leaks. This can cause a wear groove on the rear axle universal joint flange and heavy pinion seal wear.

When any seal leaks, confirm that air passes freely through vent hose and fitting. Clean out as needed.

Drive Pinion Nut

There have been instances of oil leaking past the threads of the pinion nut. The condition can be corrected by removing the nut and applying Pipe Sealant With Teflon® D8AZ-19554-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G350-A2 on the threads and nut face.

NOTE: Be sure to follow the correct procedure for setting the bearing preload when the nut is installed.

Axle Shaft (Wheel) Seals

Axle shaft oil seals are susceptible to the same kinds of damage as rear axle drive pinion seals if improperly installed. The seal bore must be clean and the lip handled carefully to avoid cutting or tearing it. Axle shaft journal surface must be free of nicks, gouges and rough surface texture.

Casting Porosity (Holes in Casting)

Occasionally there will be a rear axle housing (4010) leak through small holes in the cast axle housing. These holes (casting leakage) are caused by gas bubbles in the casting process and are known technically as a porous condition or porosity.

There are two recommended types of service:

Peen in a small amount of body lead. Seal the hole with Loctite® 290 or equivalent meeting Ford specification M3D35-A(E).

In larger holes (or pockets), drill a shallow hole and tap it for a small setscrew. Install the setscrew and seal it over with Locktite® 290 or equivalent meeting Ford specification M3D35-A(E).

Weld Leaks

Most minor weld leaks can be corrected with Locktite® 290 or equivalent meeting Ford specification M3D35-A(E). This includes the "puddle" or fill welds that join the axle tube to the center casting on integral axles. They sometimes leak and can be sealed easily. If a weld is broken, the rear axle housing must be replaced. The alignment is too critical for field service.

Refill Capacities Component Capacities
Axle (Rear) (Pints)
Ford 8.8-Inch Ring Gear 5.5 a, b
a Service refill capacities are determined by filling the rear axle 1/4 inch to 9/16 inch below the bottom of the filler hole.
b CAUTION: F-150 Truck with 4.10:1 rear axle ratio is equipped with synthetic rear axle lubricant and 5 oz. of additive friction modifier.

Note: All rear axle lube quantities must be replaced every 100,000 miles or if the axle has been submerged in water. Otherwise, the lube should not be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected or repair is required. Refer to the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The spring that holds the rear axle drive pinion seal against the rear axle universal joint flange (4851) may be knocked out, allowing leakage past the lip.
One of the things I do when installing seals is to pack the channel where the spring goes with grease to keep everything in place while installing.

As far as the amount of gear oil goes, gear boxes just need to be filled halfway or a little less to lubricate properly. Everything inside turns. So whatever isnt submegerd in the oil now will be as it rotates around. Even though the diff may not seem to have enough oil in it, adding more will dilute the friction modofier and it may become ineffective. If it does this it will destroy your clutches and then ruin everything else inside as a result. So if you put the amount in it that the manual calls for you are in good shape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts