Premium Member
23,563 Posts
and 8 lug rims

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great info.
The purpose is to run H1 mitary beadlocks and tires on my 79. Will I have any issues with the backspacing?
Any input would be appreciated.
This is a mostly offroad vehicle that is only street driven to the trail.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Great info.
The purpose is to run H1 mitary beadlocks and tires on my 79. Will I have any issues with the backspacing?
Any input would be appreciated.
This is a mostly offroad vehicle that is only street driven to the trail.
The wheels need to be re-centered. I used USA6x6 (Much hated and now out of business) centers and spacers and did it myself.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
The wheels need to be re-centered. I used USA6x6 (Much hated and now out of business) centers and spacers and did it myself.
thought you could use wheel spacers as well? How tight are they with out recentering?

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
thought you could use wheel spacers as well? How tight are they with out recentering?
Without recentering they would be ridiculous tight, the steering ears on the knuckles would be real close if not hit them. The offset load on the spindle bearings would be a consideration also.

The stamped centers I used give 3-1/2" backspace which is perfect. You can get more but not less BS with these centers.

For me spacers is not even an option. The thickness needed would put a lot of stress on the studs, the parts would cost ridiculous money, and still a halfass result in my book.

Also, the real stamped centers are extremely strong and well made. Flat plate centers are not.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Who is still making new centers now?

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
The problem I see is that these wheels are heavy. Slap a set of big rubber on em and your 1/2 ton brakes won't do the job. 38's on steelies burn up brakes as it is, much less with at least double the wheel weight. My wheels in that picture are over 165 pounds each. The point is, if you are going to run big tires on H1's you're going to need to do an 8 lug swap for decent brakes. Whether you do the D44 or D60 is your call, but stock brakes won't cut it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
next thought, I've had along these lines, is it possible to get 8 lug onto a 9" rear end?
or is the obvious full swap to a 44 or 60 the only option?

G.

·
Registered
209 Posts
next thought, I've had along these lines, is it possible to get 8 lug onto a 9" rear end?
or is the obvious full swap to a 44 or 60 the only option?

G.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
yes you can 8 lug a nine, there are a couple different ways. Cheapest is with a D70, 14 bolt or sterling 10.25

other wise your spending alot of cash to put 8 lug on a nine

1 - 20 of 21 Posts