Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are stock 16" aluminum rims (pre 1999) so hard to find?

I've been looking on several forums and ebay all the time and I never see any for sale.

·
Administrator
22,838 Posts
Why are stock 16" aluminum rims (pre 1999) so hard to find?

I've been looking on several forums and ebay all the time and I never see any for sale.
whats funny is that I have noticed the same thing...been looking for about 3 weeks now and cant really find any good deals.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Isn't that where the 16.5" rims come in, because the 16's don't clear the calipers on the 1ton stuff?

·
Registered
904 Posts
correct... Anything under 16.5 is a real bitch to track down because the stock brake hardware on 8 lug axles is too big. I had a hell of a time tracking down a decent 8 lug 15" rim.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
I think that applied to the Ford stuff, because the Ford 1ton dual piston calipers were the big ones. If you're looking for chebby/dawge rims, I think they're more common because their brake stuff is smaller.

At least that's what I remember reading, because the other companies brake hardware required less grinding to run the smaller rims.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I know my 06 dodge is running 17's. I've seen a lot of late model stuff running 17's with rear disks.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
My F350 had 16" rims, they cleared the brakes just fine :toothless Both of my F250's have the same size rims and they clear the brakes, too :popc1:

My '95 dually had aluminum rims, but my '87 250 has steel. Could be single wheel aluminum rims weren't that popular? I never paid much attention to it. My 2001 F250 had aluminum rims that were the same style as my '95 F350.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honestly you will have a very hard time finding 16 alloys.

Its simple economics, wheel manufactures are having to keep up with the plus sizing market which includes 18's and up on trucks.

Dont get me wrong there are some companys still out there making 16in alloys however they are far and few apart. My company has 4-5 companys making a just few 16's to chose from out of the 27 lines of wheels that we carry.

Mickey Thompson still make 16in 8lugs and probably will continue to do so for a long time to come, because they understand that this is a prime market place for them because of their offroad tires and off road enthusiasts that want the 15 and 16in big and beefy tire look and not the 22in bling bling, allthough they are also going that direction too just like all the other companys, but not forgetting about the customers who they got their start from.

Go to their website and Dick Cepek's (same company now) and you will see the Classic II, Classic Lock and DC-1. They have nice wheels in 16x8, 10's and 12's in 8on6.5 or 170mm and for 08' they are coming out with a kickass looking wheel.

Also check

Cruiser Alloy, Ultra Wheels, Pacer Wheels, Gear Alloy.

·
Registered
605 Posts
My '89 F250 w/dual piston calipers has what I figure are factory 16" aluminum wheels.
Could be aftermarket but they look just like the 15" version on 150s and Broncos with the holes and fake rivets.

For years I tried to find a set of the nice factory wheels locally with the big center caps and without rivets (94 (?) or 95+) but finally gave up.
Now that I'm not looking anymore they're probably everywhere around me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I figured 16.5's were pretty much phased out in the late 70's/early 80's.

I'm not certain however but I personally can't recall seeing them on any mid 80's and up Ford, Dodge or Chevy 3/4 or 1 tons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts