Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy has a d44 hd (i assume) leaf sprung ford 44 with the 8 lugs.

im looking at a sterling 10.25 right now to swap out my 8.8...

i just did a sas with a 78 44 coil sprung (5 lug obviously)

can i buy my buddies 8 lug outers and swap them on to my coil 44??

are the knuckles the same?

can i just get everything from the spindle out?

calipers?

hubs?

thanks guys

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
yes you can swap them over...you will need essentially everything that attaches to the knuckles out...calipers and all...you will also need the outer stub shaft i beleive? either way, yes it will work...another member bronconut has done this swap on his bronc.

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
dont hold me on that, but i thought you did...i could be wrong. check with the others on here that have done the swap...if i remember correctly, that was one of bronconuts problems is that he had to get a conversion joint because one was just a d44 shaft and one was a d44hd shaft...but like i said, i could be wrong. waiting on others to chime in.

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
shoot for pretty much anything mid to late 80's chevy 3/4 ton stuff....i got mine off a older suburban....just started the long process of parts gathering myself for the 8 lug swap

·
Banned
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and does that work with the stock dana 44 axleshaft ujoints? or do i need a conversion joint?

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
i believe you can use the stock u joints on the chebby...do some more diggin...this is what i can remember off the top of my head so i may be corrected quickly..i know there are a handful of members that have done the chebby swap, and a couple that have done the f250 d44hd swap...DIGGGGGGGGGGGGG..and then let others know for the future!

·
Banned
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i been searching since i posted this thread like 2 hours ago and i keep finding different answers

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
if i were you i would look at the SAS's in this section..and also start pm'n questions out...some members may come off as harsh when you post a "noob" question in a section, but i have learned that when you shoot a pm instead to a person they are a bit more helpful...

·
Banned
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
also can i use my dana 44 5 lug tie rod i just bought? or does the hd knuckles take a different tie rod end

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
chevy 8 lug stuff requires EVERYTHING from the knuckle out. the Ujoint is just a D44 Ujoint, does not matter with any of these setups. but the chevy 3/4 needs chevy knuckle (for disc brake, don't get suckered here), spindle, caliper mount (looks like a thick dustshield), calipers, rotors, pads, and outer chevy stub. Everything bolts right up to a ford D44.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
Like every one said you will need every thing from the knuckle out, you also need to know what year and maybe model of truck its from. If your friend doesn't know you can look it up on Mr.N's site and figure it out. That will help you buy parts, when you do buy the parts keep the part #'s to replace them because when you get to mixing diferant years and axles togbether its not only easy for you to get things mixed up but the people at the parts store too.

·
Banned
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chev 3/4 and ford hd knuckles both will adapt to my 78 44 1/2 ton tie rod ends?? i wont have to sleeve the knuckles or anything right?

and what about ball joints? im guessing the 3/4 ton ball joints must be a direct fit into my 44s c's right??

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
It is all dana part regardless of the make of truck it comes from. One of the biggest diferances is that the pumpkin is on oposite sides.

If I were you I would also plan to build a stronger draglink and tie rod to accept a bigger tre's. You can get a set up like mine for around $260, I think.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts