Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The HD-44 has 8 lugs right? So what do I need to make it compatable with my 5 lug 8.8? regular 5 bolt HP-44 knuckles? Spindles? Or is it just a five lug brake rotor I need?

·
Registered
506 Posts
You need stub shafts, spindle, caliper plate, bearings, hub, rotor and caliper from a standard hp d44.

Oh yeah, if you have one of these axles or you are getting one, I want the hubs off it.....:thumbup

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
when i changed over my 5 lug 44 to 8 lug, i didnt change the stub shafts. i even re-used the lockouts from the 1/2 ton. and if i read it correctly you want to take a 44HD & put 5 lug hubs on it to match your 8.8 rear? why not get a rear thats 8 lug. seems your going down instead of up in strength.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That only works if you have the small hub 8 lug stuff, which was not the HD I believe.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
badblack88 said:
That only works if you have the small hub 8 lug stuff, which was not the HD I believe.
so your saying there were 2 versions of the D44HD in 8 lug in the F250s? my 8 lug stuff came from a 78 F250. ive never heard of small hub -vs- big hub D44HDs

either way, if you can make a D44 8 lug with parts from a D44HD, then you can make the HD 5 lug too. but all your gaining is possibly thicker tubes in the axle & having an axle set up for leafs already. you can weld perches to a regular D44.

·
Registered
506 Posts
well, I know that my brakes came from a 1976 with hubs bigger than a D60 (plus they are external). VERY different from the 1/2 ton stuff.

I think it was LP though.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
yep, 77.5 and on were different. parts all interchange. only other option was a D60.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
either way, if you can make a D44 8 lug with parts from a D44HD, then you can make the HD 5 lug too
you MAY not be able to, but i will find out later this week.
he d44HD knuckle has a much bigger(thicker casting) area by the caliper bracket, and i am thinking the 1/2 ton caliper bracket wont clear this.
i will try this though and see fo rmyself, as i have all this stuff.
if worst comes to worst, you will need 1/2 ton knuckles.

·
Registered
506 Posts
oh yeah, huh. good catch.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
do we know why he wants to do this to the axle? still curious.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not really going to go to 8 lug because then I would have to buy two 8 lug shafts for the rear. I am just choosing the HD44 over the HP44 since it has thicker tubes.
It will be done on a very tight budget.

·
In Front of Jopes
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andy351 said:
why would you get 8 lug shafts for an 8.8? why not get a D60, 70, 14 bolt, or 10.25?
Because the trails here are tight, Im not being a *****, but I dont give a shit about scratches but do about dents.
I just want to ditch the POS TTB, its in bad shape.
I don't want to go one ton on my DD which used on trails too, but I would rather buy a 92 later to beat the heck out of with 60/10.25s on it.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i think deadman is selling stuff from his 44 like shafts & possibly CTMs? are you going coil or leaf?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
BadassBronco said:
you MAY not be able to, but i will find out later this week.
he d44HD knuckle has a much bigger(thicker casting) area by the caliper bracket, and i am thinking the 1/2 ton caliper bracket wont clear this.
i will try this though and see fo rmyself, as i have all this stuff.
if worst comes to worst, you will need 1/2 ton knuckles.
But the ball joint spacing is the same right? ie a 5 lug knuckle would bolt up to a HD housing?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
the 5 lug stuff on the 8 lug calipers will nto work without mods
notice the 1/2 ton knuckle in the upper corner of this pic
see that the one end opposite the tierod is cut away on the surface for caliper clearence.

then notice the 3/4 ton knuckle doesnt have this area cut away

notice it sticks out past the caliper bracket.
i am pretty sure the caliper hits this area, it maybe could be ground to clear, but im unsure as of right now. the knuckle may need reinfocring then after you grind it.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
i guess the only thing i am not really understanding is why do all this just for thicker tubes when having thicker tubes isnt a real big deal is it? are there alot of tubes bending and does the thicker tube really matter. if you were to hit something hard it would bend the tubes out of the pumpkin whether they were thick or thin. plus you are going to have to weld on the tabs to that axle and the regular D44 already has them. seems like alot of work.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
axaviere said:
i guess the only thing i am not really understanding is why do all this just for thicker tubes when having thicker tubes isnt a real big deal is it? are there alot of tubes bending and does the thicker tube really matter. if you were to hit something hard it would bend the tubes out of the pumpkin whether they were thick or thin. plus you are going to have to weld on the tabs to that axle and the regular D44 already has them. seems like alot of work.
y ait does, but i also bent the tubes on mine in the oppsotie way it would normally bend.
i bent mine so the tires leaned OUT at the top
how i did that i have no idea.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts