Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone please explaine to me in simple english
1.what the trans. down shift linkage does and when it come into play and just what is it doing in the transmission? Does it affect the trans. the same in all gears.

2. Does the elec. choke have 12 volt going to it as soon as the ignition is turned on? and does the temp. sender overcome the 12V. to open the choke?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
1. the downshift linkage kicks in when you apply gas lets say to pass when you press hard it shifts down a gear to get better power. it is all in the carb linkage. it hooks to the throttle on the carb. there is a catch set so once you apply so much gas it will kick down. it doesnt hurt the tranny. there is some sort of selinoid i believe. 3rd downshifts to 2nd. 2nd to first. same for those 2 gears. 1st cant downshift.

2. my choke has 12 volts. you pump the pedal once to set the choke. then it will come off on its own. nothing to do with the temp sensor. there is a spring in the carb that heats up. you can adjust the choke to stay at a Higher RPM.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
84brownbronco said:
1. the downshift linkage kicks in when you apply gas lets say to pass when you press hard it shifts down a gear to get better power. it is all in the carb linkage. it hooks to the throttle on the carb. there is a catch set so once you apply so much gas it will kick down. it doesnt hurt the tranny. there is some sort of selinoid i believe. 3rd downshifts to 2nd. 2nd to first. same for those 2 gears. 1st cant downshift.

2. my choke has 12 volts. you pump the pedal once to set the choke. then it will come off on its own. nothing to do with the temp sensor. there is a spring in the carb that heats up. you can adjust the choke to stay at a Higher RPM.
Thank you for the quick reply:
1. If you mechanicaly set the choke what does the 12v. do? is it like an elec. magnet to hold it in then the spring when it warms up it releases?
2. In my simple way of thinking the choke plate should be open if the engine is cold and the throttle has not been touched?
3. I just went from a stock 2v to a 4v and the new carb does not have the heat pickup tube port from the exhaust maifold, so does it just use intake maifold temp. to expand the spring?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
84brownbronco said:

I just noticed you have done the same thing I am doing with the intake and carb. Did you go from a 2 barrel to a 4? If so how did you get the down shift and throttle to hook up I tried it with the kit edalbrock sent but it pushed the cable way out of line and the downshift would not reach. So right now the down shift is not hooke up. That is why the question on the downshift.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
see when you pump the pedal it opens the throttle. then if the spring is not hot the choke takes the 12 volts and holds the throttle open until it warms up.

a manual choke is a cable you pull out that sets the choke it stay out until you take it off. i hated mine with a passion. if your just warming it up in the morning it can stall it self with to much choke to long.

i had a 4 barrel. the choke just hooked right up. i can go look later to see if there is a heat tube off the intake. We had problems with the downshift when i went to the new holley carb. my dad and i had to make our own bracket for the downshift. the one they sent us wouldnt work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts