Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I can see in my fourm searching the 80-86 have the same basic design right?:popc1: So anyway, I would like to swap out my 80 instrament cluster or perhaps even the whole dash for a newer better looking one.;) So, can everyone with an 80-86 post pics(or give me a link to the pics) of there dashes so I can deside which one I like the best, please? :whiteflag

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awsome, thanks guys. The instrament clusters look pretty much the same to me. Except the custom ones, of course. I am not sure I want to make my own custom cluster. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket company that makes cool cluster that will go right in?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
rvcam said:
Can I use a newer Stearing column than '86?
Read please...:thumbup
If you get a newer gas gauge than '86, it WON'T work until you swap to the '87-up sender, which WON'T fit on your sending unit... It's a PITA, so stay with '80-86. There are some differences, though, so you'll probably have to do some minor rewiring if you go newer than '83. I did a LOT for all my mods.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
rvcam said:
Awsome, thanks guys. The instrament clusters look pretty much the same to me.
Nu uh....
Mine has red needles :toothless
red nedels.jpg

rvcam said:
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket company that makes cool cluster that will go right in?
Unfortuanantly no.

I spruced mine up by painting the needles red and taking the green covers off the bulbs. With no covers on the bulbs the gauges are way brighter at night and the contrast between the red needles and white numbers looks cool.

Plus it got rid of that sickley green glow.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gacknar said:
Unfortuanantly no.

I spruced mine up by painting the needles red and taking the green covers off the bulbs. With no covers on the bulbs the gauges are way brighter at night and the contrast between the red needles and white numbers looks cool.

Plus it got rid of that sickley green glow.
That doesnt sound too hard. One of the reasons I want to change mine is that it is hard to see at night. I was hoping to get a back lit one but they must not have used them until after '86. what kind of paint did you use on the needles?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
rvcam said:
what kind of paint did you use on the needles?

Testors Red model paint.

Make sure you get a bright red and not a burgendy
You could also do Orange, or Yellow, or any color you wanted.

Taking the covers off the bulbs makes the light a lot brighter. Of course you have to take the cluster out and take the gauges out to do it, but it really is not hard. I also took the green cover off the light for the wipers and headlights.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gacknar said:

Testors Red model paint.

Make sure you get a bright red and not a burgendy
You could also do Orange, or Yellow, or any color you wanted.

Taking the covers off the bulbs makes the light a lot brighter. Of course you have to take the cluster out and take the gauges out to do it, but it really is not hard. I also took the green cover off the light for the wipers and headlights.
Cool, I have some of that:thumbup . What about a bright blue?:rockon Or is that too dark of a color?:twak Do you think you could paint more than just the needles?:drinkbud

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
rvcam said:
You guys have some nice rides maybe soon mine will be that nice.
That's up to you rvcam

Winter's the perfect time to tear the interior out and "git to it". Here's a few pics of pieces of my interior. I just realized I don't have a good dash shot and me with my almost perfect new (used) dash pad now installed !

I chose to stick my 2 5/8" mechanical oil pressure gauge just to the left of the column as it interupts nothing and is out of the way;

I got the idea after installing the smaller 2 1/16" volt meter there previously;

which I later moved to the A-pillar gauge pods, along with the trans temp gauge you see here;

In all the posts I've seen I haven't seen anyone else's dash wood that looked the same as mine. Maybe they selected it from a different plastic veneer forest than the others ?

Sixlitre

p.s./
Gackner, what a great idea ! I may rip the green bulb covers off asap and maybe even repaint the needles. Great idea and well within my budget !

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
This is Rosie's dash

Attachments

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Seabronc said:
This is Rosie's dash
Dang Seabronc !

That looks great ! Those gauges where they is makes me wish I didn't have A/C ! Wait a minute, mine doesn't work ! Still, my vents are in the way to do what you did.

Looks great

Sixlitre

p.s./
My next junkyard score is an 87+ steering wheel. Steve83 told me they'll bolt onto my 86 column and the later ones are padded to beat the band and their cruise buttons may even work on my 86 column !

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Steve83 said:
Yes, any '87-91 wheel & an '87-91 cruise horn pad will work fine on any pre-'92 cruise column. If you have a non-cruise column, use a non-cruise horn pad.
Between advice like that

and your helping out the fellow FSBer with the overhead console bracket dimensions

YOU ARE DA MAN Steve !

Sixlitre

1 - 20 of 28 Posts