Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Lurker
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cut my rear fenders this past weekend, and it was super easy, but I would like to see how others have cut there front fenders. I plan to cut out along the trim line, but my concern is with what to do with the inner fender and battery tray etc.

Any pics of narrowed fronts would also me good.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Don't just cut it off, cut tabs in the existing sheet metal to bend in and screw the inner fender to it. I was able to push the rear of the fender back and remount it getting it out of the wheels way. You could cut and roll the edge to make it nice.

I moved my batteries to the back, but when I first trimmed for 37's the battery was not in the way.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
Take a look at my superford site, I have some pics of my fenders on there.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Look at the last 2 pages of Gunits build in the speed scetion. His has some of the nicer trim work ive seen on your style truck.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of what I did, I used a plasma cutter and followed the chrome trim. I did not try to save the inner fenders and I removed them. I am making new ones for the front from ABS plastic and tied to the engine cage. In the rear there are two layers of inner fender, I discarded the outer. I moved the battery inside and moved the AC as well.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Couple of questions about cutting

I am pulling the fenders off a 90 for my 87, planning on cutting them Before installing. Did you just use the trimline for cutting? I dont have a sawzall, nor do I have a plasma cutter:scratchhe

I could rent a sawzall, with Metal blade, but those are a bitch to control, when trying precise cuts any sug:whiteflag

·
Lurker
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am pulling the fenders off a 90 for my 87, planning on cutting them Before installing. Did you just use the trimline for cutting? I dont have a sawzall, nor do I have a plasma cutter:scratchhe

I could rent a sawzall, with Metal blade, but those are a bitch to control, when trying precise cuts any sug:whiteflag
I do not care that much anymore about how well it looks, but I used a 4.5" angle grinder with a cut off wheel to do the rear. I turned out fairly clean. Just clean it up with a slower speed flap wheel.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Think I am going to cut the fronts this weekend. I am hoping that I can jstu move the inner plastic liner/fender up and attach it to the existing part of the fender that I dont cut and just bent up. That was a horrible sentence, but I'll post pics. :thumbup

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
I don't think it will be possible to do that really.. The plastic doesn't stretch up that far, and even if it did I'm sure it would leak pretty bad where it meets the fender.

I wish I had pics of what I did on this computer. This is the only thread with some pics of what I did:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80956

That square that I cut out I riveted back in with an inch or so of overlap, then used L brackets to secure the edge of the plastic to the inner fender. There was more than an inch gap then of course between the plastic and inner fender, so I took a sheet of thin tarp like plastic that I got for free at a tractor supply store, it doesn't have any woven material to it, just a sheet of solid plastic and used large headed aluminum rivets to attach that to the inner fender (closing the gap) and also putting quite a few through the thin plastic sheet to the original plastic inner fender.

It looks pretty decent now with 35s. I got a pretty clean cut with my angle grinder, and it looks good with the hood open too. There's no chance of water or mud getting through there now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts