Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while at the junk yard this saturday, i discover that the spindle bolts onto the steering knuckle with either 5 or 6 bolts. i was wondering why this is, and what dictates which broncos get what amount of bolts on their spindle? are the ones with 5 bolts still dana 44? thanx in advance.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
As far as I know all broncos in that year had dana 44's.

The only difference I know in the axles are the 87-88's they changed to a different style hub setup and the axles themselves are different.. That's the only thing I can think of..

I see you are in Riverside like I am.. Which Junk yard did you go to? (did they have anything good?)

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,082 Posts
Later model 44's usually post '93 had 5 bolt spindles at least the ones with ABS do. The spindle on the right in this pic is from a no ABS Bronco.

·
Banned
18,238 Posts
4WABS is the difference in stud count. '93-up Broncos got it standard, but I don't know when the pickups switched to 5 studs. Probably the same year, but who knows?

But there are even more differences: late '94 got a revised inner wheel seal & spindle sealing surface.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
right on guys, thanx. yea the 77 i was looking at there the spindles were really short compared to the others i have seen also.

oh and spectre, i went to hillside off of the 60 on pyrite. had a few good broncos and 4x f150s.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
They also dont make some of them anymore, mainly the really old ones. not to mention they are like $300 bucks at the stealership

Riverside CA, huh??? There is someone there that owes me ALOT of money:twak

1 - 6 of 6 Posts