Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright all you Bronco SAS veterans... I did my SAS long,long,long ago. when i did the swap i had to trim the cross member slightly. No problem it was needed for the pumkin to travel up, many people do this.

However. I have every single thing to put in a true/full flat top knuckle high steer. there is only one problem. i went to put it in and its "TOO HI" shit! I have 2" of up travel before my steering hits the very front part of the crossmember.

Looking at the CM i cant really take it out and put in a 79' one cause the damn motor mounts are using it for support as well. Not only that its all ties in and molded to the fram in a really wierd twisted way @ the steering box.

OK peeps, heres your chance to show off, lets see your Pics of all your CM mods so i can get some ideas. obviously i need to keep strength to support the engine still. Im lost on this one lol

Post all you SAS pics please, thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
I ended up removing the front lip of the cross member, stretching the wheel base to the front, and removing the radius arms/coils and hanging leaf springs. Also, the leaf springs are offset center (short side to the front) rear leafs from an F150. My Bronco isn't a daily driver - it's got full hydro steering rolling on 41" IROKs with a D60 from a '79 F350 Sno Fighter. In it's current state there's no issue with the up travel and the tires clear the fire wall. The front drive line needed a pillow block about 13 inches away from the transfer case, though.
Cross member mods:

Front end stretch:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what mine looks like now.(before steer mod) I just changed coils so i have way more up travel now. i need to do someting with the very front of the CM cause in the right senario (steer full right/left) it will hit the very front of the CM.

and i need to now do something with the rear part of the CM cause the very back of the gear housing (pinion stem) hits it.

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, good ideas, i can build on this, thanks guys. ill post what i come up with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts