Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill start this off by saying Hi, Im new and bought my first bronco in March so im still learning whats what.

I have a 1988 XLT 351w C6 trans. Its in pretty good shape overall. I have the dumb flange mount hubs that they put on 87-88s so I have decided to rebuild the front end to convert over to regular ones.

Now my main point to this thread. I found a 1980 Bronco on craigslist that a guy is selling as a parts truck. It has decent 35" tires and the drivetrain is in good shape. Would the front end from the 1980 be compatible with my 88 if I just wanted to swap the axle over?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Ill start this off by saying Hi, Im new and bought my first bronco in March so im still learning whats what.

I have a 1988 XLT 351w C6 trans. Its in pretty good shape overall. I have the dumb flange mount hubs that they put on 87-88s so I have decided to rebuild the front end to convert over to regular ones.

Now my main point to this thread. I found a 1980 Bronco on craigslist that a guy is selling as a parts truck. It has decent 35" tires and the drivetrain is in good shape. Would the front end from the 1980 be compatible with my 88 if I just wanted to swap the axle over?
Welcome to FSB!

My question is why would you want to swap the whole axle? You are swapping the same thing over. It's not a solid axle in the 1980, they were only used in 78 & 79 fullsize bronco's. You'd be replacing independent front suspension with another independent front suspension... If you were looking to change the hubs (the lockouts that you turn with your hand to engage 4x4) that can be done way easier, and there is a write up on here, or you can google it = "bronco manual hub conversion"

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can just swap the axle, but you need to make sure the gearing is the same as your rear. With 35" tires it maybe lower geared.
Smok3y is right, just swap the hubs

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Welcome to FSB!

My question is why would you want to swap the whole axle? You are swapping the same thing over. It's not a solid axle in the 1980, they were only used in 78 & 79 fullsize bronco's. You'd be replacing independent front suspension with another independent front suspension... If you were looking to change the hubs (the lockouts that you turn with your hand to engage 4x4) that can be done way easier, and there is a write up on here, or you can google it = "bronco manual hub conversion"
nick from what i gather he had the top hat hubs (which need to be converted from the knuckle out to accept normal manual hubs) and now he needs to replace a shaft.

i think he's asking if an axle shaft from an 80 TTB will bolt into his 88TTB AFTER his conversion to accept the standard manual hubs.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
His hubs are the tophat style. He would have to replace everything knucle out. But yes it should be able to swap the front ends out. I have the exact same bronco as you and I HATE THE TOPHATS! just had to get one from a member here because they are so hard to come accross. I want to swap out my front end as well. pictures:

tophat style:

Broke mine:

I have a 90 front end from a friend i am thinking of swapping over. Check out this thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201346

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts

this is what he is doing.

that is his question.

yes OP, the shafts, beams, axles, etc should swap right over. spindles and that changed here and there, do some searching on that. Steve83 has a GREAT supermotors site and has a brake/hubs album that should have all the information you seek.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replys

I dont have to swap the whole axle over. I was just thinking it might be easier to do that than the knuckle out conversion. If im wrong pls let me know and ill stick with doin the knuckle out conversion.

I was also going to put the 35s on my truck after i get a 4" suspension lift put on. Will I be ok without new gears?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
if you would rather just swap the entire fawking TTB, be my guest sir. it will bolt in. :thumbup

you will be ok without the gears, but you are gonna put a hell of a lot of stress on the transmission with 35's and stock gears. the truck will be a complete pig, and your fuel economy will suck donkey balls.

while you can do it, gears would be best.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
nick from what i gather he had the top hat hubs (which need to be converted from the knuckle out to accept normal manual hubs) and now he needs to replace a shaft.

i think he's asking if an axle shaft from an 80 TTB will bolt into his 88TTB AFTER his conversion to accept the standard manual hubs.
Holy chit Brian! You're ugly ... but you're right!!!

OP - yes you will need the axles from the 1980. And yes they will fit with new hubs if you are planning on getting rid of the tophats.

this is what he is doing.

that is his question.

yes OP, the shafts, beams, axles, etc should swap right over. spindles and that changed here and there, do some searching on that. Steve83 has a GREAT supermotors site and has a brake/hubs album that should have all the information you seek.
And yes, I'm sorry OP, had I paid attention this would have been the answer. Also, you can find lots of other info all over the web.

Bronco graveyard used to sell a conversion kit but I no longer see it available. The link I had is dead so I don't think they sell it anymore. You're best bet is to pull the parts from a junkyard-
YOU WILL NEED the front axle shafts, the axle hub (not the lockout hub), spindles, and rotors. And of course manual lock out hubs (the normal 6 bolt style)

give me a moment i'll try to find the write up, i have it somewhere in my favorites.

Also, doing either or works. you can swap the whole TTB unit, or just the Knuckle out. Personally I'd do the knuckle out, but that's just me. Swapping the whole TTB would work also...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah ive done quite a bit of research on these tophats and seen the conversion kit on broncograveyard. But the price they want plus shipping for it is a few hundred more than ill be paying for this parts truck. Also the TTB on this 80 is complete with manual lockouts.

I was thinking about just having the shop that does my lift also put the TTB on and do the gears aswell. Would 4.10s be the way to go for the 35s?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Vulgar, then get the parts truck and do the swap. how you do it, whether you just swap the axles/spindles, rotors, etc or just swap the entire TTB over, is up to you. either way will work.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Here is your write up, this is all the parts and a quick write up as to what has to be done. Assess as to whether you can personally do it or not, and go from there. it would be easier (less tedious) to swap out the whole TTB unit, but be aware it's a lot heavier, and may need a 2nd person. Also a good lift to get the truck up in the air too.

Tophat Hub Conversion

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The more I think about it the more it sounds like this parts truck is a lot more than i want to get into since I only have access to jack stands in my driveway. Does anyone have 1-2 of these Tophat hubs they would be willing to part with? Might just try replacing mine and going from there?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts