Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'80 still cant take hills

:banghead
Threw the new fuel pump in last night and went charging up a hill and sure enough it started acting like it had no gas again. but its a bit more harsh than just no gas. It seems to me like there is more clunking around than there would be with no gas.

I dont know where to go from here:confused:
as soon as I get ahold of a friend of mine w/ a timing light Ill check the timing advance but other than that Im clueless.

what could this be?

·
Registered
195 Posts
did you do a compression test? or maybe your cat is clogged?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im new at this stuff, how do I do a compression test?

I've got mufflers no cat, should I check the mufflers then?

by the way it still will rev up well pass 3k as long as its in neutral but at about 3k up a hill it starts to miss or bog down or whatever its doing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant tell where the noise is coming from because the whole truck kinda chunks. Although it might not really be anything because when I had the back window down it sounded like it came from back there. Which means its probably the rusty tail pipe thats not bolted down in back.

and again, how do I check the float level?:)

thanks for the help though guys, keep it comin

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I just got done fixing a buddies 79'Bronco w/a 460 that had similar symptoms as your describing.

It would be a good idea to check the timing as you previously suggested. Also, remove the distributor and check the condition of the upper and lower bushings.

A few more ideas to throw around.

Good Luck!

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
The upper and lower bushings were shot in the distributor, allowing for approx 1/2 in of side to side movement at drive gear, and 1/2in or more of movement at the rotor.

Timing may have played a small role in the symptoms of the motor, but I think the distributor was the primary culprit.

Hope this helps......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts