Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '80 302 and a '84 302 and i wanna build one up, i have the 80 in the bronco and it is freshened up alittle and i dunno if the 84 runs cause i just got it.Pulled the valve covers off and looked at the dipstick(its rusty) but otherwise it looks decent. Should i take the 84 to a engine shop, pay the $850 to get it bored,boiled,rebuilt, then build it up? Or should i pull the 80 out get forged pistons,rods,ect and build it up? I am thinking the 80 prob is alittle better of a motor cause of emissions but it also is in better conditon then the 84. I might sell one of them in the end but still dunno what I should do yet.
What is the scoop on the 347 kit, is it worth it and will an engine shop put one in? Idk if a stroker is really worthy for a mud truck so forged or standrd build might be a better way to go. Let me know what you think about the situation

Eddy :toothless

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
I recently built and installed a 302 HO out of a 93 Mustang. Added all a few perfomeance parts, good truck cam, etc., and while it is much better than before, it still just doesn't have the power I'd really like.

A friend has an 89 with a 302 stroker. Same thing... it's really really nice compared to a stock 302. But when it all comes down to it, there is no substitute for cubic inches.

For the money I spent..... If I had it to do all over again, I'd put in a 351. :thumbup

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im gonna work with what i have so what is the way to go?

Eddy:toothless

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
if it was me and i had the 84 just layin around, take it to the engine shop and set it up for the stroker kit....then you will have th emost you can get out of it (naturally aspirated)...then swap in it and have some fun..:)

what do you mean by better condition between the two...if you take it to an engine such they would both be bored the same as long as no deep scratches or anything...and if that 84 was running like it needed a rebuild it woul dbe a good canidate IMO...good luck :brownbag

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when i sais better cond. I meant the '80 looks better,ect ect. Ill probably bring it to Midwest engine and get it done then order intake,cam,carb,ect.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
What did these motors come out of? I assume that one of them came in your bronco, and the other came from what? Some blocks have more material, which makes them better candidates for strokers. Some blocks have 4 bolt mains, while others only have 2. The 4 bolt is stronger, and will accept more hp and trq. Emmision don't play a part in which block would be better, so do't worry about that. Chances are, both of these blocks are physically the same. So then in that case, it wouldn't matter which block you use, because after they come back from the machine shop they'll be like new. That being said, just like 85f150 said... if you just have one of them laying around, build that one. This way, you don't have to pull your bronco off the road until the motor is finished. You can take your time with it, and build it with whatever parts you want no matter what the budget. (buy an expensive part this month, and another next month)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the other one is outta a E-150 van.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you have a 302 with 4 bolt mains, it's worth some $$$.

The only 4 bolt main 302 Ford made was the Boss 302.

There is virtually no difference between 302 blocks, other than the 85 and up HO's roller lifters. Some people claim the Mexican blocks are stronger, but I have seen no evidence that it is true.

If you are going to spend the $$ to stroke a motor, sell the extra 302 and get a 351, and stroke it to 393. No substitute for cubic inches. :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im gonna go pull the 84 apart right now and see what its like, how do i tell the difference beteen a short block and a long block? and how do i tell a 4-bol main? sorry idk what this shit is

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
A short block is goin to be the block plus crank, cam, timing chain, rods, and pistons. The long block is a short block plus heads and intake.

When you remove the oil pan, you will see a series of 'caps' that hold the crank shaft in place. The difference between four bolt main and two bolt main is as simple as the amount of bolts that hold the cap in place. A two bolt main has two bolts, and four bolt main has four bolts.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am gonna go back out in a bit i olny did a few things like took off, intake,carb,exhaust manifolds,water pump,distributor.ect ill get the heads and other stuff off later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts