Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Bronco XLT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, mission number one for me has been to replace my 85 XLT grill. It's one that came stock with a black grill insert. But I want a chrome one. Research at LMC and Bronco Graveyard have turned up nothing. The customer service folks at BG said that they used to have Chrome/Argent grills for bullnoses but they got discontinued a year or so ago. Now all they have are Chrome/Black.

My 85 has Chrome/Argent headlight surrounds which are still in nice shape. So I want the grill to match. Anyone know where to source Chrome/Argent grills these days? Anyone have any for sale?

You can see that, as a temporary fix, I spray bombed by broken black grill with Krylon Chrome Metallic which I'm not impressed with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So, mission number one for me has been to replace my 85 XLT grill. It's one that came stock with a black grill insert. But I want a chrome one. Research at LMC and Bronco Graveyard have turned up nothing. The customer service folks at BG said that they used to have Chrome/Argent grills for bullnoses but they got discontinued a year or so ago. Now all they have are Chrome/Black.

My 85 has Chrome/Argent headlight surrounds which are still in nice shape. So I want the grill to match. Anyone know where to source Chrome/Argent grills these days? Anyone have any for sale?

You can see that, as a temporary fix, I spray bombed by broken black grill with Krylon Chrome Metallic which I'm not impressed with.

View attachment 163881
View attachment 163882
honestly the grill looks fine. throw some coke and 0000 steel wool on that bumper and you are good as new

·
Registered
1985 Bronco XLT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@mcb14230 you think that bumper can come back to life? that's music to my ears. Was thinking about buying a new chrome one. I didn't think you bring chrome back once it has rust stains on it. But hot damn I will try.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@mcb14230 you think that bumper can come back to life? that's music to my ears. Was thinking about buying a new chrome one. I didn't think you bring chrome back once it has rust stains on it. But hot damn I will try.
It won’t look new but it will clean the oxidation and put a good shine back. Then a little polish and wax and almost as good as new

·
Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
780 Posts
Avoid steel wool of any gauge, apt to leave scratches in chrome. Get something similar in a plastic or synthetic material. A good coat of wax will help it shine and protect it after rust is gone.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Before steel wool - try something like this:

Local parts stores should have a similar product. If it doesn't get all of it, get some steel wool or a 3m pad and drill. Some of the rust may be through the coating / outer layer. If not, sand off all the rust spots, then sand the entire thing with a super fine grit paper, prime it, then paint it with a chrome paint and a GOOD clear coat like Spray Max 2K clear (a real activated clear coat). If you have a local auto paint / body supply, they can mix a real base coat in chrome and put it in a preval sprayer or aerosol can. Use the Spray Max 2K clear over the top and you won't have to worry about it and it'll likely look better than it did from the factory.

·
Registered
1985 Bronco XLT
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@jfourdyce haha. Yeah, I might resort to that. It bugs me to buy a brand new part for a whack of money and then have to paint it. But it may come to that.

@ctandc Good tip. I actually have a can of Nevr Dull in my shop that I use on motorcycle fork lowers. I'll give it a shot on the chrome bumper and see how it goes. I've search for hours for a "good chrome paint" but haven't really found one. There's Easy Chrome from Alsa, but it seems crazy expensive. Might be cheaper to buy a new bumper.

I'm kinda stuck on the idea of having a super fresh looking shiny chrome bumper, so I may just end up springing for the new one from BG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts