Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its my first post on here so sorry if I get a few thi gs wrong
I just got my truck back from the shop and they said my radius arm bushings were shot, so I ordered in some polyurethane once from LMC and now I'm having a bit of trouble getting them on. The mechanic said I can replace them with a come-along, an impact wrench and a tree but I haven't found much else on how to get in there and replace them. If any of you guys have some input on how to get them off, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
There’s YouTube videos out there.
I just talked to a shop yesterday who will drill out the rivets, replace the bushings, and bolt it back up for $125 in labor. They’re going to be seeing my truck next week.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,041 Posts
So you undo the big nut on the back end of the radius arms. Obviously you need to have the front end on Jacks. Then you can slide that side, including the axle beam, forward, which should slide the end of the radius arm out of its bushing and bracket. Replace the bushings and reinstall.

I've done it with a small sledge, beating on the end of the radius arm, but be careful not to damage any threads.

The come a long is just to help pull that side forward, out of the bushing and bracket.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,041 Posts
radius arm and control arm bushings are different. radius arms bushing are under the engine cross member and control arm bushings are under the doors (roughly).
No... the radius arms are what extends back towards the doors. A bronco doesnt have control arms. The bushings on the engine cross member are the TT-beam pivot bushings.

Reactions: dash_cam

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you undo the big nut on the back end of the radius arms. Obviously you need to have the front end on Jacks. Then you can slide that side, including the axle beam, forward, which should slide the end of the radius arm out of its bushing and bracket. Replace the bushings and reinstall.

I've done it with a small sledge, beating on the end of the radius arm, but be careful not to damage any threads.

The come a long is just to help pull that side forward, out of the bushing and bracket.
Would I be about to pull out out manually or would I need the come a long too?

·
Super Moderator
28,758 Posts
Yo 81 bullnose,
Welcome!
Bushing Replacement by Mrit @ Radius arm bushing replacement.
Excerpts;
"...Gotta unbolt the sway bar from the Frame on both sides. No way your gonna pull the axle forward without doing this.
Unbolt the shocks and lower the axle a bit. I didn't pay attention and lowered it too much. Hence the tight ass brake line. i got lucky and didn't bust it.
I forgot to take a pic, but you will need a large ratchet strap to pull the radius arms tight towards eachother. Mine would only move maybe 1/2", but that was enough. Then attach a small ratchet strap to the axle and then the furthest forward hole on the frame. The radius arm should pull relatively easy out of the bracket.
Prybar on the radius arm, and pull the bushing and washer off..."
Read more
Note, some use a come along

Bushing Replacement in an 84
Source: by Justshootme84 (Randy Z, Casual Mudder) Rest-in-Peace friend...

Bushing & Bracket Replacement in an 81 pics are gone, but see them @ @ 1981 Ford Bronco radius arm bushing replacement pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
Source: by 81Bronk36 (1BadBronco, Matt K) at FSB

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
No... the radius arms are what extends back towards the doors. A bronco doesnt have control arms. The bushings on the engine cross member are the TT-beam pivot bushings.
you're right. my mind is all over the place this morning...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yo 81 bullnose,
Welcome!
Bushing Replacement by Mrit @ Radius arm bushing replacement.
Excerpts;
"...Gotta unbolt the sway bar from the Frame on both sides. No way your gonna pull the axle forward without doing this.
Unbolt the shocks and lower the axle a bit. I didn't pay attention and lowered it too much. Hence the tight ass brake line. i got lucky and didn't bust it.
I forgot to take a pic, but you will need a large ratchet strap to pull the radius arms tight towards eachother. Mine would only move maybe 1/2", but that was enough. Then attach a small ratchet strap to the axle and then the furthest forward hole on the frame. The radius arm should pull relatively easy out of the bracket.
Prybar on the radius arm, and pull the bushing and washer off..."
Read more
Note, some use a come along

Bushing Replacement in an 84
Source: by Justshootme84 (Randy Z, Casual Mudder) Rest-in-Peace friend...

Bushing & Bracket Replacement in an 81 pics are gone, but see them @ @ 1981 Ford Bronco radius arm bushing replacement pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
Source: by 81Bronk36 (1BadBronco, Matt K) at FSB
Thank you man.

·
Super Moderator
28,758 Posts
Yo 81,
YW!

Here's 1981 Bronco Brochure - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Fasteners by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Carburetors, Chokes & EFI by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Specifications by Gary @ Axle Ratios - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

Differences in 1980-1986 Bronco/F Series by Gary

➡ 1981 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM), partial via Gary @ 1981 EVTM - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

EEC III Testing, if not removed or disabled by a previous owner etc @ Wayback Machine by Tommy

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

1981 Bronco Advertisement @ Ads0002.jpg

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)
Includes good stuff such as Tailgate Tech!

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 75 non- padded posts to buy or sell due to scammers who preyed on our members.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our site FAQs includes for example: How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

Find some time to participate and VOTE in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes. They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Addicted to Junk
16,041 Posts
Would I be about to pull out out manually or would I need the come a long too?
I busted out laughing reading this. That's one hell of an innuendo!

It may depend on how stuck they are. The ones I do this to in the junkyards are pretty stuck usually.

Reactions: miesk5

·
Super Moderator
5,148 Posts
I just talked to a shop yesterday who will drill out the rivets, replace the bushings, and bolt it back up for $125 in labor. They’re going to be seeing my truck next week.
I really like that idea. I bought new radius arm bushings for when I was doing my axle pivot bushings, but really struggled with the radius arms. The old bushings were still nice fresh rubber, so I gave up on it and let them be. But, this is a great idea for when I return to them.

I busted out laughing reading this. That's one hell of an innuendo!
:ROFLMAO:
Yes it is!

Reactions: BigBlue 94
1 - 12 of 12 Posts