Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:chili:
okay I got the fundage to do the carb & intake swap we were talking about. I need some support because this is gonna be the biggest shit I've ever tried to swim through. I'm ready but I'll need a "goto" :crazy

okay so right now Im gonna try to find a Truck Avenger 670cm for the '80 302 and am looking for the matching 4 barrel intake manifold I am assuming also a holley if Im not heading the right direction please let me know. I would REALLY like to get this done under 700 bux

okay here goes :rockon

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,883 Posts
go edelbrock 600 and a performer intake, you can find both on ebay for cheap or buy new and still be under your 700 bux limit. Ive heard a few people not like the avenger to much. im an efi guy though and havent had experience with that new avenger.

good luck, its really a breeze once you get started. take your time, label any vacum lines and use some wd-40 or liquid wrench on the bolts a day or two early so they all come out easily.

later

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
keep it coming guys, the only thing that caught my eye about the TAs were the boasted 30* incline would a edlebrok be similar?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd go with an Edelbrock intake, but not sure on carb. I heard the avenger was good, don't know why cold would affect it so much. :shrug But it beats me

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
its a carb.....it hates the cold just like any other carb. i dont think its any worse or better in the winter than a normal holley. it will be fine if its tuned correctly. and stick with the holley's, im not a fan of the edelbrock's. and for the manifold, either a edelbrock performer, or weiand stealth. basically the same, i like the weiand's better.

and make sure you got some RTV and new gaskets handy when you do the swap.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
:stupid I've always been a Holley man myself...I always used Offy intakes (drag cars) but I'd prolly go with Weiand over Edelbrock too...:shrug

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay I'm gonna run searches on all of those. do you guys have any suggestions on merchants? I'm just doing the typical summit, ebay google type stuff.

should I just get a standard edlebrock gasket kit then?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay I think this is the manifold suggested
summit part number edl-7121

cant find a carb though does anyone have any suggestions where to look other than ebay and summit?

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Edel, Weiend, Offy, Holley... as long as you go with a good dual plane and about a 600cfm carb you probably won't go wrong... watch it though... a lot of guys will try to sell you a big ol 750 carb... way too much carb for a stock or even a mildly modded 302... take a lot of RPM's for a 302 to suck in 750 CFM... and you don't want to be over carbed... can really make life miserable... I prefer the Holley Carbs, easy to rebuild... and Fords tend to like them better... also... if you're running an automatic trans... make sure you get the model with the auto kick down arm...

I just sold a 390 CFM ford/Holley.... go figure... :brownbag :doh:

Tom

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay I've read a few reviews on the TA and havent seen any bad stuff yet so if someone can point me to some shit talkin itd be appreciated
JC has the carb for 389 its the best price Ive found but they dont have any broncs in the list of models so with the new manifold would I just get the F150 one then?:shrug

and is that manifold from summit above all good then?

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
Try Jegs, or any local speed shop for a carburator... you will actually be able to see what you're buying if you go local.

I haven't looked at carbs since my '67 Cougar... :doh: :shrug

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jegs and summit are only .05 differance @ 409
I'm sorting through pirate and they all use Q-jets but it sounds more complicated to set up so whats up with these anyone here runing them or have opinions?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay ignore all from here back

I'm gonna stick with the TA since nameless runs it and seems happy with it and he no doubt runs circles around what Im gonna be doing. So with the intake manifold from summit and the TA from JC whimpy what else do I need? and as long as Im in there is there anything I should replace? thermostat maybe?

I've got training on Lewis in the mourning so I'll check back in sometime on monday have a good weekend all and thanks for the help

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay I got back early,
with the manifold (summit #edl-7121) and the Holley Truck Avenger do I need anything else and will these mount up right? should I grab spacers or anything? I told you this is german to me so I need advice from square one thanks for the help and patience though guys
:doh:

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
go to your local sped/parts shop and buy a Fel-Pro intake gasket kit. I am not sure about ford but i know for pontiac all it is are the manifold to head gasket and water pump rubber o-ring thing....If it were me i would replace the thermostat while you are taking it off any way. they are only a buck or two. Jsut make sure you know which vaccumm lines are manifold or above the throttle plate vaccumm (can't remem term right now) make sure your stock air filter will work with this too...all i can think of right now...

Good Luck :drinkbud

P.S. It seems hard but it is real, real, real simple....

·
Registered
245 Posts
If your running the in electric fuel pump from the fuel injection then you may need a pressure regulator because carbs don't like as much pressure as the fuel injection. Also, don't forget an air cleaner.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Have your intake (IF ALUMINUM) heli coiled espesialy (sp) the themostat bolts it will save you some head aches some where down the road.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
IMO don't worry about the heli coils if it is a brand new intake. Just slap some anti-seize or never seize on the bolts and you won't have any probs...and to be honest i put it on everything i take apart and then reassemble....saves so many headaches...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts