Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Bronco, 302, C6, 4x4, AC, Cruise, Power Win / Doors, all original equip
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! I want to change my door locks to manual instead of power. I read on another posting that you could remove a nut somewhere near the actuator and that will give you the option to pull up and push down the locks manually. If anyone can send a photo of this nut I need to remove or maybe a better description of where it is located I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo Specer,
Shift wrote elsewhere, "I pulled panels off both my manual doors and power doors and was happy to find that they look identical. I dont think there is any issue with installing manual windows on a power window door. here are the pics so you can decide for yourself.

Power door of my 89

Manual door off my 85

..."
Also, disconnect PDL actuator

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Mr. Mieske, I only want to have manual locks. I got the power windows working fine but am tired of struggling with the locks. Attached is the posting where a guy talks about removing the nut I have been looking for. This may be easy to find for others but I have not located this nut.
Text Font Line Number

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so good morning to all. I want to say that I appreciate all of the help I was given on this forum. I couldn't have done in a comfortable manner many of the things I have done. Mieske, Broncmom, Packager, etc. I thank you so very much. However, my last 3 or so postings with questions have fell very short of being answered. As I look at the many people that have viewed the postings and the question but not bothered to even attempt to give a answer to someone who only as a last resort will ask, it bothers me. It sucks really big. This is the reason I have not really bothered to reach out for help anymore on this forum. Maybe all of these things come really easy to most of you but, I work hard at it. I have progressed so much on my truck that I've about got everything working. But, If I come on this forum with a question it is because I have researched and researched and tried and tried with no luck to complete what should be a simple job by myself. I am writing this for myself and the other postings I have seen in many places where a question is asked and disregarded by many. I wonder if that person ever figured it out. I hope no one is upset by my words as that is not my intention. It's just to say hey yo!!! Wasn't this ever you and if so, how did it make you feel. If the feeling wasn't good try not to spread it around. All that being said, thanks again for everything. Enjoy the rest of your day and week.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Okay so good morning to all. I want to say that I appreciate all of the help I was given on this forum. I couldn't have done in a comfortable manner many of the things I have done. Mieske, Broncmom, Packager, etc. I thank you so very much. However, my last 3 or so postings with questions have fell very short of being answered. As I look at the many people that have viewed the postings and the question but not bothered to even attempt to give a answer to someone who only as a last resort will ask, it bothers me. It sucks really big. This is the reason I have not really bothered to reach out for help anymore on this forum. Maybe all of these things come really easy to most of you but, I work hard at it. I have progressed so much on my truck that I've about got everything working. But, If I come on this forum with a question it is because I have researched and researched and tried and tried with no luck to complete what should be a simple job by myself. I am writing this for myself and the other postings I have seen in many places where a question is asked and disregarded by many. I wonder if that person ever figured it out. I hope no one is upset by my words as that is not my intention. It's just to say hey yo!!! Wasn't this ever you and if so, how did it make you feel. If the feeling wasn't good try not to spread it around. All that being said, thanks again for everything. Enjoy the rest of your day and week.
@miesk5 tried to help you. Not the answer you were looking for I know, but he did try.

I’ll try with what little I do know while looking at my 89 power locks... I order to go to manual, you have to get the locking mechanisms for the manual locks, the linkages, and everything... just disconnecting the actuators only makes the door lock useless..

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
There is no little nut that holds the actuator in place. This guy's rig most have been modified. Therefore, no one can send you a picture of it, as you requested.

The actuator snaps into a plastic bracket that is riveted to the door.

Read a tutorial I wrote on replacing the actuator motors, with pictures.

·
Super Moderator
29,143 Posts
Yo Spencer,
Sorry that I failed to address your question. I was attempting to show the door lock mechanisms in both an 82 with a PDL and same 82 with manual door lock, but I didn't include following because I was trying to find if the nut securing the actuator was replaced by a rivet( aka "pin").

"There were two types of locks and mechanisms for these trucks: Sliders and pin style. The 1980 & 81 trucks used sliders and took a different latch assembly, as shown below. But, in the early part of 1981 Ford went back to the pin style that had been used for many years. The illustration below seems to say that the changeover was in March of '81. However, the changeover apparently wasn't as clean as that.
I think we can make several observations:
  • The dates in the catalog are not exact.
    • The turn signals changed much earlier than 12/80 in most plants. In fact, from what we can tell only Twin Cities and Norfolk used clear lenses for '81 trucks, although it is too early to say that with any certainty.
    • The two trucks we know of which were produced in the Twin Cities plant in 09 of 1980 are separated by 442 trucks in the production, so apparently that plant changed to amber lenses in September somewhere between those two trucks
    • The door locks changed fairly close to 03/81 in most plants, but not in all of them.
      • Kansas City produced trucks in 03/81 with slide locks, but by 04/81 had gone to pins.
      • Twin Cities was still using slide locks as late as 07/81.
Basically it looks like the changes may have taken place on a by-plant basis. Ford probably didn't throw anything away, so if a plant still had the clear turn signals or slide locks they installed them."
By Gary M @ Door Locks

Here are Some lock mechanisms showing the rivet and in another which I accidentally marked as a pin securing the actuator;

●□●
Following are in an 82 Bronco by Automobile Repair Reference Center (ARRC) :

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
@spencer151 If folks have an answer they’ll usually reply. For this thread, I don’t have anything to add as I have the slider style and neither function.

I’ve had a few questions go unanswered. It’s just the nature of the beast. When you find the answer, you can post it for posterity. Almost all the answers we share here are products of others’ research and efforts. Don’t take any response or lack thereof as personal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mornin to all and thank you for reaching out. You are right, Mieske always reaches out to everyone and is a super cool blessing for us newbies! No apologies necessary Mieske. I gave up on locating the nut (that now I know never existed) and out of frustration just pulled the rod connected to the actuator until it released. I thought I had broke it but afterwards noticed the plastic piece the rod fit into. Now the lock goes up and down. The key never turned on the drivers door. Lubed to death everything but still no turn. I'll come back to those things at a later date. I will study your post Bronjo19. Thanks again to all (not just Mieske) and I hope everyone has a great Monday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.