Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this bronco a few days ago and I am having trouble getting the t-case into neutral or 4 low. sometimes it seems to go in easier if it is rolling. once I get it inot 4 low it will shit from 4 high to low easy but if I ever put it back in 2 hi then the problem comes back.
Any one have any ideas or need more info on the bronco?

Thanks

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
you check the fluid in the transfer case?

If you just bought the bronco, i would sincerely change every ounce of fluid in that thing. Just to be sure. It's relatively cheap, and that way you can start a maintenance log from this point forward.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
roger that plan to change engine oil this weekend. I have heard that changing the transmission fluid on a vehicle that has not had regular changes would be a bad thing to do, could this be true (not sure of the maintance schedule b4 now). From your ? about the fluid level in the t-case I take it that it is seperate from the trans fluid, I thought I seen what should be a drain plug on the t-case today but not a fill or way to check it.
Can you point me in the direction I should be looking?
and what type of oil to use in the t-case? gear oil?

·
Registered
762 Posts
You should have an NP208 and what looks like 2 drain plugs. You fill it from the upper which if I remember is a 1 1/4 socket. Pull the upper plug and stick your finger in the hole. It should be close to the bottom of the threads

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
roger that plan to change engine oil this weekend. I have heard that changing the transmission fluid on a vehicle that has not had regular changes would be a bad thing to do, could this be true (not sure of the maintance schedule b4 now).
I have heard that too. I never put much stock into it. If your transmission is going to fail, it's going to fail.

I bought mine with 99,000 k on it and the PO never changed anything, i just got it into a routine, changing all the fluids and never had a problem, this doesn't mean you won't, it just means i didn't.

If it's an 82, i *think* you have the C-6 which is a pretty bulletproof transmission.
From your ? about the fluid level in the t-case I take it that it is seperate from the trans fluid, I thought I seen what should be a drain plug on the t-case today but not a fill or way to check it.
Different set of gears. Transmission has fluid and T-case has fluid independent of one another

Can you point me in the direction I should be looking?
and what type of oil to use in the t-case? gear oil?
No. My Bronco is a decade newer than yours, we require different fluids, i also have an electronic shift transmission. Someone else may be able to answer that, or you can search for it.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,982 Posts
Good ole Mercon ATF will get ya shifting smooth and good.

Drained the '84s what had to be original ATF, and instant improvement with the 4 fresh quarts.

Fill plug is right above and to the right from the drain plug.

A 10dollar suction gun will fill it up real quick too.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check the fluid and change tommorow in the t-case. I'm not sure if it is a c-6 or not it has been a long time since I have worked on older fords, the tranny shifts smooth going down the road. not sure how many miles are on it as the speed-o is dead shows 86000 and change. tranny fluid is clean and don't smell burnt, the engine oil is a different story though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed the t-case fluid (which was clean) and put 2 quarts in (auto parts place said it only held one quart) it needs mabey another 1/2 quart. So far I have tried shifting it 3 or 4 times once to actually use 4wd and it shifts smooth now. Also the tag says it is a np 208F. Thanks for the tip to change it. How much trouble would it be to break the t-case apart and put a new gasket and seals in it? the from seal is leaking and possibly the case also.
would the whole t-case need to come off the tranny?

What kind of gas milage are yall getting. Mine gets 7.5 mpg pulling my boat in 2wd, not sure what it gets without the boat the bronco was bought just to pull the boat and will very seldom get unhooked. It has a 302 with a holley 4brl and a fuel pressure regulator (not sure why). The first day I had it when I got down on it (hit passing gear) it would pop through the carb, then I found the pressure regulator and it was set to very low pressure (at idle the filter would be empty) so I turned it up and the popping has stopped.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
I changed the t-case fluid (which was clean) and put 2 quarts in (auto parts place said it only held one quart) it needs mabey another 1/2 quart. So far I have tried shifting it 3 or 4 times once to actually use 4wd and it shifts smooth now. Also the tag says it is a np 208F.
Be very careful about taking auto parts guys advice, they aren't all bad, but you can run across the occasional dolt who just runs his mouth like he knows everything and get wrong advice. Grab a Hayne's Manual for your truck next time you go to the autoparts store, it's got a wealth of information about your truck in it.

Thanks for the tip to change it. How much trouble would it be to break the t-case apart and put a new gasket and seals in it? the from seal is leaking and possibly the case also.
would the whole t-case need to come off the tranny?
The seal between the t-case and transfer case, you'd need to pull the transfer case. I am pretty sure for the NP208 it's a solid circular seal, without a break. While you've got it off, it's always easier to do seals/rebuild a carb on a work bench than it is on the truck. Just my opinion

What kind of gas milage are yall getting. Mine gets 7.5 mpg pulling my boat in 2wd, not sure what it gets without the boat the bronco was bought just to pull the boat and will very seldom get unhooked. It has a 302 with a holley 4brl and a fuel pressure regulator (not sure why). The first day I had it when I got down on it (hit passing gear) it would pop through the carb, then I found the pressure regulator and it was set to very low pressure (at idle the filter would be empty) so I turned it up and the popping has stopped.
I have EFI, just running around town i pull about 12 MPG, and on the highway i can get up to 16 MPG. But i have to drive like i am 85 years old. That don't happen much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well tried to use 4-low today and couldn't get it to go into 4-low or neutral at all. Any one have any other ideas to try

1 - 10 of 10 Posts