Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie to bronocs and I have learned a lot by reading all of these posts. I thank all of you who share your knowledge for the rest of us. I bought an 82 bronco about a month ago. It has probably been sitting for 20 years and I have been doing the general maintenance like plugs, wires, thermostat, fuel filter, carburetor, etc. I have been able to drive it around town. After all of that I noticed a small leak at the rear drive shaft coming out of the transfer case. As I was changing the rear output seal the bearing behind it fell back into the TC. Before I go any further I would like some advice of what to do from here. Do I take the rear housing off or does the whole TC have to come out? It is an np208. I know enough to do general stuff, but my mechanical skills are not the best. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been into a NP208 before, so I might be able to help.
If I understand you correctly, you took the output yoke off to get at the seal, and the bearing behind the seal slid forward on the output shaft?
You can take the 5-6 bolts out that hold that output housing off the main body of the transfer case (probably should drain it first. That bearing is retained inside that housing. The bad news is, that bearing should be a press fit, and if it is loose in there it has probably spun and worn the housing. If that's the case, your best bet is to find a new housing. A temporary fix would be to use the green Lock-tite (it's for retaining bearings) to keep the bearing in place. If that bearing is loose, you're going to keep having to replace rear seals, because the shaft is going to wobble a little.
When you re-install the output bearing housing, make sure to seal it with some RTV.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Unless I’m imagining what I’m seeing, that bearing looks shot. There’s a bit of cage shown up at 12 o’clock but the bunch of balls at 5-6 dont look right. Give it a few to get some other opinions as I’ve never opened up a TC. I’ve seen plenty of ball bearings though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts