Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Good morning and thanks to all of you for the advice and explanations, definitions and understanding! You all help a lot with everything, especially the courage and patience to keep going till you get it done. I am going to take my battery to get it charged again for starting purposes. It test as a good battery and holds the charge until I start running the truck. The battery seems to have plenty of juice for everything except starting the truck once I have started it a couple times.
Yesterday I did a bit of wire/power checking and these are the results:
I have two wires at the neutral safety switch. The look to be one black and one red (but it was a bit dark down there so colors might be off). I used a test light for this check. With the key switch turned on there is no power to the red wire on either side of the NSS connector (going in or coming out). There is power to the black wire.
There is no chassis to frame ground on the passenger side anywhere that I seen. I also checked my fuse block since I still have no guage cluster/clock lights and no marker or reverse lights. I have attached a photo of my fuse box. There are what seem to be wires missing from some of the terminals in the rear of the fuse box which right now until you all tell me different, I assume is the problem with the dash lights. I have not seen any loose wires hanging so far that I can re-attach. I also attached the fuse box diagram I have been using for my 82 bronco.

Attachments

Registered
I don鈥檛 think you have a NSS. I think you are looking at the reverse light switch.

My 80 shows a purple/orange line going to the switch and black/pink line going to ground through the bulbs.

After further thought, if you do anything, put a jumper between the switch contacts. If you ground it out ahead of the switch as I suggested, you鈥檒l probably blow a fuse. You need the taillight resistance to keep current in check.

Walmart handheld battery checkers are worthless. Have it charged and load checked at a parts house or buy a new one.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Packager, I don't understand what you mean by a walmart handheld battery checker??? My battery came from Oreilly's and I have taken it there twice to have it checked and charged. It shows as a good battery with no issues. When I start the truck again I will re-check my alt amps to be sure it is good. I am sorry to appear a bit silly but I didn't understand grounding it out ahead of the switch when you talked about it earlier! If I don't have a neutral safety switch I am totally confused now. I thought the 82 automatic c6 had a NSS. I will have to google the reverse light switch to see what it looks like.
I will post a new discussion about the fuse box as that could be suspect.

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
I recently checked my fuse box since since I am checking other possible wiring issues related to ignition stuff. I still have no guage cluster/clock lights and no marker or reverse lights. I have attached a photo of my fuse box. There are what seem to be wires missing from some of the terminals in the rear of the fuse box which right now until you all tell me different, I assume is the problem with the dash lights. I have not seen any loose wires hanging so far that I can re-attach. I also attached the fuse box diagram I have been using for my 82 bronco. Thanks to all.

Attachments

Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
From the back, look at which ones are missing wires, then see what fuse is on the opposite side, that will tell you exactly what fusses have no wires. Do you have a repair manual with wire diagrams? If not get on. @miesk5 will be along shortly or longly with a slew of info for ya.

Super Moderator
Yo, Spencer,
As packagerjradvised, "My 80 shows a purple/orange line going to the switch and black/pink line going to ground through the bulbs..."
This is reflected in;

However, my vision if off today, so, look for the NSS... should see usual red/,ight blue to starter relay from ignition switch.

Super Moderator

Registered
Ok, call the battery good and forget what I said about going to ground.

Your issue is that the truck won鈥檛 start using the key in P or N? And you鈥檝e confirmed you do not have 12V at the signal wire on the solenoid fender, but you can get the truck to run by leaving the key in Run and jumping it?

I don鈥檛 know if the 82 has an NSS. My 80鈥檚 manual indicates the column has a mechanical lock that prevents turning the key to Start when not in Park or Neutral. It makes no mention of an NSS in text or diagram. But reviewing the 86 manual, it clearly shows a combination reverse light/NSS switch. I鈥檓 guessing that, sometime in the Bullnose run, Ford adopted an NSS into the starting circuit. So you need to figure out how your 82 is configured.

If you can figure out how to electrically connect the two wires going into your presumed NSS and share the results, you鈥檒l bypass the switch and save us a lot of guesswork.

Just for fun, hold your key in Start and use your other hand to push the ignition switch actuator rod (small diameter rod on top of column) fully toward the firewall. If it cranks, your switch is misadjusted.

Registered
This thread has gone on for so long, I am missing the original problem description, and I think its a 1980 Bronco?
The later broncos had a braided cable in the steering column that can eventually fray and short out taking out alot of the dash functions
(See my post earlier on this, it was also on a TV show called 'wheeler dealers')
.....Do these older Broncos have the same problem?

Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
Yo, many of the 80-86 fuse locations are unused. My 85 looks about like yours.

I'll ponder on this. You have another thread about the issue?

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I have been going over and over again the wiring diagram Miesk gave me a few months ago. It is the same as the one posted above he sent yesterday for 84 bronco. As for dash, illumination and parking lights the diagram states the 5a fuse (lt. blue/red wire to light switch and and from light switch). I see the metal terminal on the rear of the fuse box but one of the wires is missing. Either the one from the light switch to the fuse box or the one from the box to the instrument panel circuit connector. Don't know what or where that circuit connector is yet. The tail gate CB on the fuse box is empty of even the metal terminal so no CB or fuse will even stay in that space. there are no wires coming from it at all. You say your fuse box is just like this but everything operates fine??

Registered
My fuse box does not look like the 84 schematic. It has no circuit breakers, and the fuse layout is significantly different.

The 84 diagram Al posted has an NSS, so it was added sometime before the 84 model year, but not before 80.

How did we get to fuse 5A from what I thought was a starter relay no power issue? The wire you need to be chasing is a red with light blue stripe. The 5A illumination wire is a light blue wire with red stripe. These aren鈥檛 the same wires nor support the same circuits.

IMO, your 82 is probably closer to my 80 than the 84. You really need to buy an EVTM for your model year if you鈥檙e going to do useful electrical or vacuum troubleshooting. Mine was less than $20 on eBay and has paid for itself many times over.

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
sorry packager. I was responding to bigblue94's reply about my fuse box. That was initially part of this discussion but not many responded at all so I created a separate discussion for it because I believe it is very important. I think it was deleted. I don't know why but it's okay. I will be looking into everything you all have said this weekend and see what goes. As a newby, it's a bit confusing when everyone has different ideas. so I will take the time to check them all out and follow all advice and learn as much as I can.

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
Mieske, I have it pulled up now since I am at work with internet access. The library's are closed here due to you know what!!! All public offices are closed. Maybe taxes will be suspended also since offices are closed!!! Any way, I think maybe I am annoying people with all of the questions so I am going to see what I can figure out on my own from the wealth of information given to me by all of you good people and in the process give everyone a break. Have a great Friday and thanks so much. Stay cool and groovy everybody.

Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
@packagerjr pretty sure the NSS was added 81. Got into this debate with my mechanic when he was trying to locate my NSS.

Registered
@packagerjr pretty sure the NSS was added 81. Got into this debate with my mechanic when he was trying to locate my NSS.
The 81 EVTM doesn鈥檛 show it either but it definitely exists in the 84 year model based off Al鈥檚 post.. Do you have a part number or other info you could post for the OP based on your NSS experience?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts