Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got an '82 Bronco last night. It is XLT, 5.8, manual trans with OD. I cannot see any switch on dash for the rear window. Were some '82 models just key in tailgate operation? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think the switch is on the right side opposite the blower switch. They are tough to find new from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
on my 82 it is in same place as my 86, to the right of the AC controls.

·
Registered
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 351W, C6.
26 Posts
So I just got an '82 Bronco last night. It is XLT, 5.8, manual trans with OD. I cannot see any switch on dash for the rear window. Were some '82 models just key in tailgate operation? Thanks!
Following. Looks like we just came across the same problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And it was right where you guys mentioned! Just right of a/c controls! Now I just need to get her running, fix rear window, clean her up, etc, etc, etc....... thanks again!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
np, we'll help where we can man, don't feel bad to ask questions, even if they feel silly. I bought my truck with zero working windows, took about 1 hr and had all three working, though the pass side doesn't work well, the seals are too tight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! This '82 is definitely going to be a project. Hasn't run since 2005, rear tailgate is pushed in, has what looks like been "converted" to points ignition, carb won't open.....the whole works! Was delivered on a wrecker last night, sight un-seen.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
got some pics? What are your plans for it? stock cruiser, mall crawler, mudder, rockcrawler,etc?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure on plans yet, got it to fire up w starting fluid for a moment. Was hoping it had the NP 435 trans for the low first gear, but it is the 4 spd OD model. SROD I believe.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I love that paint scheme, the red/white two tone victoria. That is how I plan to repaint my 86 eddie bauer I think.

·
Super Moderator
5,173 Posts
Not sure on plans yet, got it to fire up w starting fluid for a moment. Was hoping it had the NP 435 trans for the low first gear, but it is the 4 spd OD model. SROD I believe.
Not to derail the post too much, but do you know the history of it?
For one, the 351w (5.8) didn't come with a manual transmission at all.
IF it did, it was because someone special ordered it.
And then, if it did, it did NOT come with an SROD.
The SROD is a lightweight transmission that would get wrecked behind a 351.

The other thought is that it was originally a 300 I6 with the SROD, and someone swapped a 351 into it.

Either way, once you get it running, I'd take it easy on that transmission with that engine.
If you're good with swaps and such, I'd look into an NP-435, or a ZF5 swap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do not know the history, just bought on local classifieds (ksl.com). The ID plate on reads "G" in 8th digit -engine, and "B" under trans code. The autocheck report reads as 5.8 as well. I'm going to measure intake manifold, but it looks like a 351 vs a 302.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But, I've only had '89 and newer Broncos before this one, so I'm not sure on engine/trans combos.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts