Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled up Friday, and the truck is already at half tank mark with only 70 miles.
Truck has new 33 gallon tank, fuel sender and 2bbl carb.

I passed emissions with flying colors on Saturday (their words), idles fine other than slight miss. No obvious bucking/surging or richness in exhaust. I did smell unburned gas last night when we pulled into the movies, the only time I've smelled it since buying the truck. Have not noticed a pool of fuel in my driveway or when I leave a parking spot.

I do have some vacuum line issues noted in my other thread.
I understand the 302 isn't very fuel efficient, but this is obviously indicating an underlying issue (or the gauge is way off). If my math is correct, this puts me around 4-5 MPG

Truck is auto, new Motorcraft 2bbl, stock headers, crap glasspack (to be replaced)

Forgot to add, brand new tires, went with stock AT size.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My first step would be to fill the tank up again to confirm that it's actually at half tank, or if there's something wrong with the gauge. Just because the sender is new doesn't mean it's good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion. It was at around a 1/4 on Friday, took 18 gallons to top it off.
In theory it should take about 16 gallons of it's at the halfway mark now.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the gauge that is off. It was at half a tank when I got home, 100 miles on trip meter. Held 6.65 gallons, it burned that much out of 18 gallons. By my math it's getting about 15MPG.

I'll confirm next time I top it off if the numbers match. Whew!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Most factory gauges are always off a little bit and with age they can get worse.My brothers 01 f150s gas gauge reads 3/4 of a tank when its really full.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
It's the gauge that is off. It was at half a tank when I got home, 100 miles on trip meter. Held 6.65 gallons, it burned that much out of 18 gallons. By my math it's getting about 15MPG.

I'll confirm next time I top it off if the numbers match. Whew!
15 mpg is outstanding for an FSB! Agree, you need to check this a few more times to get an average mpg. My guess is it will settle in around 13 or so. Some people do get higher in the 15-16 range,but they probably drive like an old lady! Most people find that 302's actually get slightly worse mileage than the 351's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
15 mpg is outstanding for an FSB! Agree, you need to check this a few more times to get an average mpg. My guess is it will settle in around 13 or so. Some people do get higher in the 15-16 range,but they probably drive like an old lady! Most people find that 302's actually get slightly worse mileage than the 351's.
That is my hope. yes, I will check a few more times to get an average, I also have been driving like a blue hair. Too many tickets in my youth, not to mention the thought of all that gas being burned for no real reason makes me nauseous. I am getting too old too soon......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Cool. Looks like a good ending. Sounds like you got a sweet truck - mind posting some photos?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting results, 9 miles a gallon this go around. Basically same route, same granny driving. Only difference is I didn't drive 10 miles on interstate, and I used 2nd/1st to climb a few hills. I never put my foot in it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have found 70 mph plus highway driving to hurt gas mileage the worst. If I'm hitting the highway to go hunting, my average gas mileage is about 12-14 mpg. Off the highway, I can push close to 19, but that's with really gentle driving. Driving regularly, it falls into the 15-17 range.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is old country 2 lane driving averaging 45mph.
Curious why the same route and driving yielded different results.

I"LL check it again, see what the results are.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is old country 2 lane driving averaging 45mph.
Curious why the same route and driving yielded different results.

I"LL check it again, see what the results are.
It could be differences in the quality of fuel from tank to tank or even atmospheric differences - but it shouldve vary all that much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuel came from the same place the first two times, this time a different source.
Could be a variety of things, I need to get to the bottom of it soon before gas climbs back up in price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, filling it until the pump clicks. I'm concerned because I want the vehicle performing to it's best potential. If there's an issue, I want it resolved.

Thank you for the reading material.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts