Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got an 83 Bronco with carbed 300 and it has the factory mechanical fan. The factory shroud is nothing more than a finger guard and I'd like to improve things.

Were the V8 fan shrouds any different? My truck did not come with factory AC. Did 4.9l truck with factory AC have a better shroud? Would a fan shroud from an EFI truck drop in?

I am sure I could make something from scratch or make a lot of things work I'd just like to know if anyone has done this already and what they found to be the easiest to bolt in.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,917 Posts
The "fan shroud" on the older I6's were nothing more than a little flap of curved plastic over the fan that said CAUTION FAN.

This is from my '81.

What you see of the fan shroud in that picture is all there is (you can see the exposed fan blade beneath the radiator hose). It doesn't circumference the whole fan like most. (I eventually broke mine when I used it to dig my way out of some snow in the middle of May.)

My '84 (with an I6), however, has the big, full fan shroud that fills the entire radiator and wraps around the whole fan. From what I understand, these do more than just protect your fingers (like the little one on my '81 and your '83), and help to pull air through for better cooling when the engine's working, but the vehicle's speed is low. Like this one:

If you want the newer fan shroud, I think you have to get it from an '84. In '85 they switched to a completely different way of mounting the radiator and fan, so it wouldn't work.

Edit:

Looks like you can get one from one that's 84 or older that has the super cooling or A/C radiator. You may, however, need to get the larger 27 1/2" radiator to go with it, or it won't fit.

·
Super Moderator
4,917 Posts

This one's actually an '85 with the little fan guard. I wonder what made the difference?

·
Super Moderator
4,917 Posts
I did some reading. The Ford 300 came with 3 different radiator setups:

1) Standard radiator. 13 quart, 21-5/8" wide. Fan guard.
2) A/C 14 quart. 27 1/2" Fan shroud.
3) SuperCooling 14 quart. 27 1/2" Fan shroud.

The A/C and SuperCooling were the same except that the A/C one had some extras for the A/C unit.

I swapped my '81 to the super cooling radiator years ago, but never got a shroud for it. Should go track one down.
You'll probably need the bigger 27 1/2" radiator for it to fit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks AB. That is extremely helpful.

We've had our truck since new, non-a/c truck, has always had the "finger guard". I recently installed the ~27" radiator and I've recently put AC in it. I'd like to get a better shroud for it.

Unfortunately I don't see any online parts resellers that sell the shroud. I emailed a couple of junkyards to see if they have one.......my schedule is tough to go part hunting at the local pick and pulls. Hopefully I'll turn up something. Seems as if the factory made what I want I'll just have to find one.

Best,

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Get a shroud from a 1990 or so. With a small amount of work, it will fit the older super cooling radiators. My shroud has a 1990 engineering number on it. It fits well in my '83.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a shroud from a 1990 or so. With a small amount of work, it will fit the older super cooling radiators. My shroud has a 1990 engineering number on it. It fits well in my '83.
Thanks, I forgot to come back to this thread.

I did just that. I bought a fan shroud from an EFI truck. Brand new I think it was around $25. A little work with a dremel and a little fabrication and it fit right in.

The truck ran significantly cooler the last time out but ambient temps were also about 10-15 degrees colder (in the 80's). I'll probably have to wait until next summer to really test it

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Thanks, I forgot to come back to this thread.

I did just that. I bought a fan shroud from an EFI truck. Brand new I think it was around $25. A little work with a dremel and a little fabrication and it fit right in.

The truck ran significantly cooler the last time out but ambient temps were also about 10-15 degrees colder (in the 80's). I'll probably have to wait until next summer to really test it
Do you have the supper cooling radiator?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have the supper cooling radiator?
Yes, when I added AC I added a supercooling radiator to the truck. The radiator is the proper supercooling radiator for the year (1983 - carb) but the fan shroud is for a later EFi truck with AC. I remember checking the measurements before ordering and they were very close so I went ahead and took a chance that the EFi shroud would fit.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
13,200 Posts
I just want to add that my 85 has the fan 'guard' only, not a shroud. It's a skinny little radiator too. From factory with no AC, and a manual trans, high altitude model (4000' and up)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just want to add that my 85 has the fan 'guard' only, not a shroud. It's a skinny little radiator too. From factory with no AC, and a manual trans, high altitude model (4000' and up)
One thing that still bothers me is that while the supercooling radiator is wider the extra surface area is blocked by the radiator support. You'd think that the factory would make a removable piece or simply cut it away on the trucks with AC and Supercooling. If my truck has issues next summer I'm probably going to cut part of the support away and then seal it back up to get as much air through that radiator as possible.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Yes, when I added AC I added a supercooling radiator to the truck. The radiator is the proper supercooling radiator for the year (1983 - carb) but the fan shroud is for a later EFi truck with AC. I remember checking the measurements before ordering and they were very close so I went ahead and took a chance that the EFi shroud would fit.
Yep. that is exactly what I am running as well.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
One thing that still bothers me is that while the supercooling radiator is wider the extra surface area is blocked by the radiator support. You'd think that the factory would make a removable piece or simply cut it away on the trucks with AC and Supercooling. If my truck has issues next summer I'm probably going to cut part of the support away and then seal it back up to get as much air through that radiator as possible.
I cut away the metal . . . so I do have something on you :) I opened up the hole, I then welded the edge back onto to the new cutout. If you didn't cut this out, then you have that edge that the radiator rests up against, hitting your core.Whoops it wasn't this thread I posted the pic. So here it is . .

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cut away the metal . . . so I do have something on you :) I opened up the hole, I then welded the edge back onto to the new cutout. If you didn't cut this out, then you have that edge that the radiator rests up against, hitting your core.Whoops it wasn't this thread I posted the pic. So here it is . .
Nice job. I hadn't thought to try to reweld the edge back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts