Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to search on here for the info but can't. I have an 83 XLT, and i'm not sure what axles are on it... what were the stock axles on this yr?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
How are you going to be able to do a seriously complicated engine swap to a diesel motor when you can't i.d. your own axle, even with the entire intardwebz at your fingertips??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not used because i don't mess with anything but electronics and engines. And it's about time that I started broading my horizon so-to-speak.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most 83's have the 8.8 not the nine. Look at the differential cover. If it faces the rear then it is a 8.8. If the Carrier bolts in the front then it is a 9.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Most 83's have the 8.8 not the nine. Look at the differential cover. If it faces the rear then it is a 8.8. If the Carrier bolts in the front then it is a 9.
The first part of this is not correct. 83s had 9" rears. They did not go to the 8.8 until 86...same body style, but with EFI (5.0) and 8.8s. But if it has a back cover on it, it is most likely an 8.8.

Chris

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would love to have a 9". That being said I have an 83 with a 351W and it has from the factory a 8.8". I do remember reading that Ford did have some 9" through the 83 model year but in 84 they all went to 8.8.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Your facts are not correct. My 84 has a 9". Unless there is some sort of freaky setup that you have, AFAIK, there were only the 9" used until 86 when the change came about. That being said, are you sure you do not have an 86?

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts