Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I finally got an engine for my bronco (1983 xlt 300/4spd) and put it back together. I bought it with a blown engine this spring and pulled it home so I hadn't ridden in it before, took it through the ditches in front of my house asap ('cmon, you woulda too!) and the thing just crawls along in 4 low it's friggin awesome!

My question is should the roof pop and creak when going crossways over a ditch? it seems to flex way more than I think it should. Clutch petal moves in an out as it flexes quite a bit too, maybe 3 inches (mechanical clutch).

It does not have cracks at the top of the roof pillars but it does have rust in the rear wheel arches and lower door corners as usual but it is actually in decent shape, the rad support is solid and tight and I pulled out the carpet and aside from a couple small spots it's all there.

I am running with the top off because I dont have the bolts for it, I will get some if I put the truck back on the road but now after driving it I'm not too sure of it's road worthiness. How much does the topper stiffen up the body?

Thanks
Scott

PS, I love driving this thing already, my rottie never wants to get out of the back when we get home! and my gf already needed to have pics of her on the hood ;)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The top really does not stiffen the body at all. Some truck will flex a little more than others depending on age and past use. If you are getting that much play (I am not sure how you are measuring the 3") I would definitely check the body mounts and bushings.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
there is a common problem with firewall cracks in the early years. pull the brake booster and look all around the firewall there. also on the inside.

some noise is normal. the test is if the doors still work. park crossways in the ditch and open and shut the doors. if everything works there then i wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
413 Posts
lets see those pics.... :popc1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts