Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  1. I'm really starting to get into fixing up my '83 full size and one of the things I'm looking into is building a new fully fleshed out center console. I'm a welder and pretty decent w fabrication but what I'm not so great at is transmissions. I know most people have probably seen aftermarket shifters like the winters for automatics and I'm wanting to throw one of those on the new center console since I'm going to be tearing all that up and redoing it I might as well go for it since I've always wanted one anyways but mine is 4wd and that long and tall t-case shifter is of course square in the middle of the floor right where the center console would butt up against the dash if you were to extend it all the way up so my question here would be has anyone ever relocated the t-case shifter or know of a link to a video or part#'s I would need to do so? And if u have done it or seen it could I get some guidance? I'm not opposed to just leaving it but it would definitely be nice to be able to just re do everything and bring that center console all the way up and have both shifters sitting up high on the top of the new console build. I'm just not sure if it's possible?

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Anythings possible... you'll need to get creative to avoid excessive shifter throw by moving the lever up that high.

On the flip side, if you're willing to swap in a later model transfer case, some of the BW1356 cases are electric shift. They dont appeal to some people, but would allow you to get that shifter right out of there, and replace it with a switch. If you go that route, make sure to look for one with the speedo cable output on the t-case, as they made the switch to a diff mounted speed sensor in the 90's. Also, there is a kit that you can get to replace electric shift with a knob right on the case

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,844 Posts
Depending on how much money you want to throw at the problem, you could get an aftermarket cable shifter for the t-case and theoretically mount it wherever you want.

Something like this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts