Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to cold start my 83 Bronco Saturday and it started and immediately shut off. I tried again and it didn't even click. Lights worked so moved onto the starter/solenoid.

Went out to try Sunday and it started right up and I even drove it.

Monday comes and it would crank but not turn over, then I tried it again and it's dead again. No lights or anything.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ignition switch. On column TDC, toward firewall.

Column has two bolts that take a 9/16? socket. You can lower it to get at the switch. Still a butt to unplug.

If you can routinely crank it from the solenoid by jumping the S post to battery positive, I would suspect the switch.

I have a thread on the symptoms and damage mine had. Mineengine would die as soon as the shifter moved to R or D.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ignition switch. On column TDC, toward firewall.

Column has two bolts that take a 9/16? socket. You can lower it to get at the switch. Still a butt to unplug.

If you can routinely crank it from the solenoid by jumping the S post to battery positive, I would suspect the switch.

I have a thread on the symptoms and damage mine had. Mineengine would die as soon as the shifter moved to R or D.
I will check the ignition switch today.

I tried starting it from the solenoid with a screwdriver yesterday and nothing. Is that the same as "jumping the solenoid" or is that different?

Thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
It is. Jumping from battery positive to the S connection (little metal stud that should have a blue/red wire with a push on connector on it) will crank the truck using the solenoid. If your battery is properly charged, you should hear the solenoid thunk if it’s operating correctly.

You can bypass the solenoid by removing the wire from solenoid to starter at the solenoid and touching it to the positive battery post.

The total loss of power makes me think switch, but chase the others first.

And make sure your battery isn’t dead! 12.6V resting, or bring to parts house and have them test it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is. Jumping from battery positive to the S connection (little metal stud that should have a blue/red wire with a push on connector on it) will crank the truck using the solenoid. If your battery is properly charged, you should hear the solenoid thunk if it’s operating correctly.

You can bypass the solenoid by removing the wire from solenoid to starter at the solenoid and touching it to the positive battery post.

The total loss of power makes me think switch, but chase the others first.

And make sure your battery isn’t dead! 12.6V resting, or bring to parts house and have them test it.
Was able to check everything out today with the help of some buddies and it looks like it may be a couple things. First, the battery was drained pretty well. I am charging it tonight and getting enough voltage to start it up and probably replace it.

Any suggestions on battery brand/size?

The other thing was the connections possibly. The wiring was piecemealed together and the alternator connections wee pretty loose. We are going to take a look at the alternator connections tomorrow too. Hopefully these two are the issue.

Any other suggestions after my update?

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,159 Posts
Upgrade your starting system wiring. Battery to solenoid to starter to alt including ground to like a 1/0 cable (except to the alt), new battery clamps usually solves a lot of the low voltage/starting issues (unless it's in the column). As I've found with my 82 and the myriad of slow start, long crank, cold start bs... Old wires with bad lineman splices, old grounds, cracked dried vacuum lines, distributor vacuum advance, EECIII ignition control module, improperly set choke, fuel pressure (too high or too low) all give u starting issues,... How do I know... Replaced them all (I'm actually getting the vacuum advance issue dealt with now)... Been there...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Was able to check everything out today with the help of some buddies and it looks like it may be a couple things. First, the battery was drained pretty well. I am charging it tonight and getting enough voltage to start it up and probably replace it.

Any suggestions on battery brand/size?

The other thing was the connections possibly. The wiring was piecemealed together and the alternator connections wee pretty loose. We are going to take a look at the alternator connections tomorrow too. Hopefully these two are the issue.

Any other suggestions after my update?

Thanks!
Any troubleshooting with a bad battery is fruitless, so glad you are on that track. I just use whatever Walmart sells because there is a Walmart on every corner.

The Saturday issues followed by Sunday start don't jump out at me as alternator or battery issues per se, but I'd do exactly what you suggest. Get those two squared away and see where you are at. Good luck!

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,159 Posts
I put the battery I got for my 99 expedition from Walmart (the "everstart 65") in the BKO and it works well

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a new battery and solenoid and am waiting for a buddy to help me rewire everything today or tomorrow. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will check the ignition switch today.

I tried starting it from the solenoid with a screwdriver yesterday and nothing. Is that the same as "jumping the solenoid" or is that different?

Thanks!
My bronco had the same problem, and fixing the ignition switch was the solution

1 - 11 of 11 Posts