Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm new, and this may seem like a silly question - but,
anyone have any tips on how best to remove the washer from a door striker
bolt so that new striker bolt bushings can be installed?

Understand that the striker bolt itself takes a #50 Torx socket, and that
the Dorman HELP #38424 replacement bushing set ($ 4.00) is what's needed...
but, how do you get the existing washer off the bolt so that the
replacement bushing can be put in place?

Ford dealer parts department says "washer can't be removed can't and that
new striker bolts (w/bushings installed) are sold as a unit"... at a whopping $22.95 ea.!

Any tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I've seen the Bronco Grave Yard offerings.
They too sell the striker bolts that include the new bushings... and the sell the plastic bushings by themselves... however,
question remains - if my striker bolts are good and all I want to do is put new bushings on the bolts, what's the most effective way
to get the striker bolt's washer removed so that the new plastic bushings can be slipped on... after which old washer is reinstalled on old bolt
and old striker "unit" with new plastic bushing is reinstalled in door jam.

My interest is in learning how others get the original washer off in a way that doesn't destroy the metal washer, bolt, or the bolt's treads.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I'm cheap!
It's just hard to understand why a corporation like Dorman would go to the trouble of engineering, manufacturing, marketing,
and distributing a set of striker bolt replacement bushings for bolts that can't be disassembled and reassembled.
Set of four bushings is $4.00, 2 short & 2 long, and is enough to replace all tailgate and door requirements.

There's got to be "more than one way to skin a cat" other than throw money at it. Somebody in the FSB community
has got to have the answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.