Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to swap a 6cyl out and put a v8 in? I tried searching a bit and couldn't find an answer. Thanks for your help.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
i am getting ready to do this in my 85 f150. It is very easy but you will need the engine towers for the v8, differnet flywheel depending on your application, not sure if 84 had the TFI module on the 6 or not but if you do you need the durspark brain and harness to use on the v8, also throttle cable, radiator and probably misc other stuff.... Check out the forums at ford-trucks.com...alot of people have done this and have some great pictures of what you need...:thumbup

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No such luck. That's a great site, but I couldn't find any information on going from 6 to 8. I saw a bunch of 302 to351 swaps. Also, were the transmissions different in the 6's vs. the 8's? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
nope, same tranny

in fact, *i think* most of the accessories on your 300-6 will transfer over onto the 302, (alt, various pullies, etc...)

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
yea the smallblock windsors and 300 used same bellhousing patterns.
hmm..their search isn't working at all...when i get home i will post some of the links to the messages. srry

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
why what? swap to a 351w? torque is right there with the six and even more hp....and you can move faster.....i am building up my six after i yank it..that way when the 351w pukes i will have reserves of torque to pull a semi down the road....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts