Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 bronco came with automatic locking hubs, do you know if they would actually work when I’m switch it to 4x4?
I know usually they have the manual hubs, so this is new to me.

·
Registered
95 351W
64 Posts
Hey Rodribra001 --

They're known for going bad and it's common people swap them.

If they're failing to engage, you can generally crawl under and hear it on each side failing to engage. Otherwise.. I just clicked the button on the dash and generally can feel it. Drives different or get in on a gravel road.. smashing the gas.

·
Registered
95 351W
64 Posts
Hey Rodribra001 --

They're known for going bad and it's common swap. Currently doing mine.

(how to:
)

If they're failing to engage, you can generally crawl under and hear on one side or both.. failing to engage. No sound=good. Otherwise.. I just clicked the button on the dash and generally can feel it. Drives different or get in on a gravel road.. smashing the gas.

·
Registered
432 Posts
pretty easy to test. also very easy to change. I would just buy a set of manuals and keep them and the right torx or allen head in the back of the truck, change out if they ever go bad on you. Mine are 34 years old and still working just fine, so I haven't swapped em out yet.

if you are never or rarely in a position to where you absolutely must have 4wd, then I would just make sure they work right now then not worry about it until one goes bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts