Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on replacements for the two-piece rubber donuts that act as a spacer and dampener on the crossmember between the transmission and transfer case. All local part places only have a listing for the actual single-piece transmission mount that goes from the transmission to the crossmember. I found one other post on the forum, and a picture in Steve83s index (transxmbr.jpg) that shows the part I am looking for, but no indication if anyones has been able to find replacements? The diagram refers to them as upper and lower absorbers. Has anyone found a generic poly replacment, or on-OEM supplier?
FYI: 351, AOD, 208
aTdHvAaNnKcSe

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i considered using a set of radius arm bushings, but swapped to a transmission mount for an 89 E-150 351/c6 instead (i decided to go with a 205 and needed a narrower mount). it's a stronger mount than the f-150 4x2 mount, but it pushes the back of the t-case up about 3/8".

an even nicer mount is the one for an 87 f-150/250 with a 351/435/1356. it's a caged fluid filled isolator. BUT most of the aftermarket replacements are just like the e-150 mount. i'm kinda scared how much the fluid filled one would cost from Ford.

Justin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much Justshotme84 for the link, that is exactly my situation.
And I should have known I was up against something odd from Steve83s depiction of this as being the "Rare Transmission Mount", and JBG not having any idea what I was talking about...
I'll go with the poly bushings and make that work.
One more question. Mine are sagging so badly it is impossible to guess what their original thickness was. If I just add an 1/8" washer under the bushing suggested, will I be close? what problems will the wrong height cause and how can I best check?
Thanks again to everyone.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
The poly bushings I used from JBG are the same thickness as the OEM trans mount bushings, as well as the body bushings. I did not need to put a washer between the bushings and bottom crossmember. Instead, I welded the flat washers underneath the crossmember. Reason for that was the diameter of the OEM bushings was larger than the 78/79 t-case mount bushings. Those from the 78/79 are the same as any of the other 8 poly body mouint bushings on the Bronco. The outside diameter of the part of the bushing that sticks through the crossmember or body mount bracket is about 1-1/4". the hole in the tranny crossmember for the OEM bushings is about 1-3/4". The washers I used were 1/8" thick with the 1-1/4" hole, so the 78/79 bushings would not wobble around in the crossmember. If you were to raise the tranny/t-case up by 1/8' by putting the washers on top of the bottom crossmember, I don't think it would affect your driveshaft-pinion angles very much. The single style tranny mount which was on the C6 in the F350 was about 2 inches taller, and the bellhousing on the C6 hit the floor pan under the Bronco, using the Bronco's crossmember. JSM84

·
Registered
143 Posts
Search worked!

Thank goodness for this thread. I though I was going crazy looking for these insulators/mounts for my tranny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts