Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 with the 2 barrel 351w in it. Its getting old and tired so I am looking for a donor to rebuild and possibly add a little power to. I was thinking of stroking it but stroker kits are a lot and I dont know how well that will pass ca emissions. I want to switch to a 4 barrel when I put it back together, is there any ca smog legal aftermarket intakes I could use or should I just find the stock one? also will gt40 heads from the explorers work on this engine or does it have to be fi? I have been doing searches but had a few specific questions. Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
Do a stroker. CHP (probe) has good prices and good kits. It has nothing to do with smog. I built a 426cid 351w. There are CARB legal aftermarket heads out there. I got a set of AFR 185 heads off ebay for 895.00. Edelbrock has a CARB approved intake. As long as the smog equipment is all there and working and the heads and intake are CARB approved you should be ok, Just dont do a cam with alot of overlap! that will kill you on the emissions test.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any recommendations on a carb to use because I know the stock one has emissions items built in right?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
easiest way around smog is move out of CA

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't have a clue about CA emissions but I do know a bit about SB Fords.
If you need to wake up that '85 351W, you've got to start with a better set of heads. Yeah, GT40's will work but will need the bolt holes enlarged. C90E and DOOE 351W heads have the same valve/port sizes as the GT40 head...plus...a better combustion chamber for high-output use. Downside to them is that they require hard seats installed, they won't work with your '85 rocker arms and they got no thermactor holes. They also burn dirty by today's standards. There's also a bunch of aftermarket heads to pick from which I have no experience with....so I'll leave that to someone who knows.
As intakes go, if you're looking at a Performer ya might as well use the ford factory HO-4V truck intake. Powerwise, it works just as well, already has the correct EGR stuff for smog purposes and being made from iron....won't rot away as you drive. Either one will need port-matched to whatever heads you choose. A step up from those two would be the older C90E 4-V intake that came on the mustangs & Torinos...but....it aint got no EGR provision. There are plenty of "bigger" intakes available but they aint all that usefull on a heavy DD truck.
Pick your heads and intake, figure out what exhaust mods you want to make and THEN talk to a few cam techs to get their input on what cam to use. Them guys are smarter about cams than 99% of the hot rodders you'll talk to....including me.
And FWIW, a carb in the 550-600 CFM range will feed a low RPM 350ish street motor just fine. If you could find a 4V Autolite off of an old 352/390 Galaxie that was in rebuildable condition, that would be my pick above anything else out there. A lot of the ones from the mid-late 60's already have the C-6 kickdown, if that matters to ya.
My favorite ignition is the Duraspark. It'll need recurved to match the rest of your engine.

Hope you find something here usefull.

DGW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a clue about CA emissions but I do know a bit about SB Fords.
If you need to wake up that '85 351W, you've got to start with a better set of heads. Yeah, GT40's will work but will need the bolt holes enlarged. C90E and DOOE 351W heads have the same valve/port sizes as the GT40 head...plus...a better combustion chamber for high-output use. Downside to them is that they require hard seats installed, they won't work with your '85 rocker arms and they got no thermactor holes. They also burn dirty by today's standards. There's also a bunch of aftermarket heads to pick from which I have no experience with....so I'll leave that to someone who knows.
As intakes go, if you're looking at a Performer ya might as well use the ford factory HO-4V truck intake. Powerwise, it works just as well, already has the correct EGR stuff for smog purposes and being made from iron....won't rot away as you drive. Either one will need port-matched to whatever heads you choose. A step up from those two would be the older C90E 4-V intake that came on the mustangs & Torinos...but....it aint got no EGR provision. There are plenty of "bigger" intakes available but they aint all that usefull on a heavy DD truck.
Pick your heads and intake, figure out what exhaust mods you want to make and THEN talk to a few cam techs to get their input on what cam to use. Them guys are smarter about cams than 99% of the hot rodders you'll talk to....including me.
And FWIW, a carb in the 550-600 CFM range will feed a low RPM 350ish street motor just fine. If you could find a 4V Autolite off of an old 352/390 Galaxie that was in rebuildable condition, that would be my pick above anything else out there. A lot of the ones from the mid-late 60's already have the C-6 kickdown, if that matters to ya.
My favorite ignition is the Duraspark. It'll need recurved to match the rest of your engine.

Hope you find something here usefull.

DGW

DGW do you recommed all those mods on the stock stroke etc or a stroker kit? OR should I just bore it out a little. I dont need TON of power but 350-400 would be GREAT leaning more to 400hp if possible.

Also, how much work would it be to install hard seats? Are you reffering to the valve seats? and is the thermactor an emissions item? As far as the higher emissions I think the dual cats might help, IT passed with one good cat and running rich so I think with two good ones it should still pass as long as it passes the visual inspection. As far as rockers, would I be able to just buy some aftermarket roller rockers to uses instead of the stock ones? Ive never built a performance engine so lots of questions.

One last thing, what year galaxie are those carbs on and are they any way to identify the correct carb?

·
Registered
472 Posts
DGW do you recommed all those mods on the stock stroke etc or a stroker kit? OR should I just bore it out a little. I dont need TON of power but 350-400 would be GREAT leaning more to 400hp if possible.

Also, how much work would it be to install hard seats? Are you reffering to the valve seats? and is the thermactor an emissions item? As far as the higher emissions I think the dual cats might help, IT passed with one good cat and running rich so I think with two good ones it should still pass as long as it passes the visual inspection. As far as rockers, would I be able to just buy some aftermarket roller rockers to uses instead of the stock ones? Ive never built a performance engine so lots of questions.

One last thing, what year galaxie are those carbs on and are they any way to identify the correct carb?
The heads I mentioned are NOT what you want to feed a big-cube stroker.You'll need some sure-nuff race-type heads for that.
Nothing I mentioned will get a 351W up to anywhere close to 400 HP. You'll need some real serious parts to get that kind of power....and some serious lower-end prep....and some fairly serious money.

Just to answer your last question;
The old style Autolite carbs use the familiar Holley bolt pattern and were put on dern near every 4V engine Ford used (except the factory Hi-Per and police motors) from 1957 up through about 1967. They basicly came in two sizes (flow rates), with the 352, 390, 410 and '66 428's getting the bigger of the two. Clean used ones can sometimes be found on ebay. I see 'em around the swap meets too. If you wanted one ready to go, 'Pony Carburetors Inc.' is the place to contact. In light of your goal though, I wouldn't bother. Your going to need more airflow than one of them can provide.

DGW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not loooking to spend a load of cash on this because I am trying to keep it under a budget,(i only paid 400 for the truck), so with the suggested mods would you be able to make a guess on to what the engine would be making? or atleast making close to?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Im not loooking to spend a load of cash on this because I am trying to keep it under a budget,(i only paid 400 for the truck), so with the suggested mods would you be able to make a guess on to what the engine would be making? or atleast making close to?
To put my original suggestions into perspective.....
A '69 4V 351W was factory rated at 290 (flywheel) HP. It came with 2-1/4" dual exhast, a mild "grocery getter" camshaft, single point ignition and a realy-poor Motorcraft emmisions-carb. A slghtly "improved" version of that same engine will do 325 HP perty easy. As she sits, I doubt your '85 2V small-valved, low compression smog motor is doing more than 175.....And that would be on a good day.

Thing is, building engines aint cheap. The faster you want to go, the more it cost. Then there's the emmisions thing....plus....what kind of gas do you want to burn and how much fuel cost can you live with.

DGW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gas isnt to much of an issue, i mean this is gonna be a trail rig so i dont want to run out of gas on the trail but, i am not gonna be commuting with it either.

WIth the motor upgrades I dont want to spend a lot on aftermarket parts, I was just planning on rebuilding itanyways because its just sluggish and is old and I figured while I had it apart I could do a little upgrading.

From the advice you have given my plan is to use the stock ford HO-4V intake and have it port matched and use the 4v autolite off the galaxie you recommended, Now with the heads in your opinion which would be easier to make fit on this block?
The gt40s and enlarging the bolt holes or the others with installing the hard seats(valve seats are what your reffering to correct?) Out of those to heads which is easier to mod to fit?

For the cam you said just to figure out the rest of my mods and talk to someone who grinds custom cams? Any recommendations on a company?

And for exhaust pipe diameter I need to keep the cats so should I enlarge it a little or keep it stock?

Thanks for your help im taking all this into consideration

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can get high flow cats, but make shure they are Cali legal, most high flow cats are not. Better flow is good especially if you are gonna cam it out. I would get/make dual exaust with an h pipe. Larger diameter will always be less restrictive. I would also get the exaust side of the head ported/matched. But if you are on a butget exaust can be pricey. I am on a budget too I'm getting nice headers going into one big ass pipe because I don't want to pay for 2 cats! I know it won't work as well but it'll save me some $
:boxing

·
Registered
472 Posts
GT40 heads are easier to find, are best for emmisions and cheaper to set up. The pre-smog combustion chambers on the old C90E & DOOE heads will allow you to run a higher compression ratio and a bit faster advance curve but the trade off is more expense and increased emmisions. Your money-your choice.
Mad Dog is telling you right on the duals with an H-pipe. Fords with factory duals had an H-pipe for years because the "H" in a dual system is worth about 15-20 ft lbs of torque over a dual system that don't have one.
2-1/4" pipes will work fine and will also match your manifolds. If you have the bucks, tri-Y headers work real good on SB Fords. I used them on my round track motors and recomend them highly.
Comp Cams, Crane, Lunati, Isky....any of those have tech guys who can help you pick the right cam kit. I'm a Crane guy myself but that's because I'm old and they're what I grew up with.
Don't waste money on a bunch of hot rod ignition stuff. A Ford Duraspark can be made to work fine for your purposes. If your truck don't have one already, you can get everything you need from a wrecking yard perty cheap. Just make certain that you get it off a 351W engine and that the one you pick uses the module which has a blue plastic groment where the wires exit. And be sure to get both of the harnesses that connects everything up.

Do some figuring, looking, and asking around before you start all this. Take notes and add it all up. If you haven't done anything like this before you might be shocked at what building a performance engine can cost these days.

DGW

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what vehicles are the late model roller cam blocks in and how dp i identify them, id like ot keep it carb and smog legal as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts