Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am resurrecting my '85 Bronco after sitting on the side yard for 3 years. My goal is to pull the motor and replace parts as needed and upgrade for maximum power, while keeping up with California's smog legal laws.

I currently have a 351 Windsor, and am obviously keeping the block for smog legal purposes and probably the heads. I would like to get the block and heads dipped in magnaflux, then go from there. Possibly replace the cam and whatever is advised?
Anyone have ideas for keeping this project fairly reasonable (under $2k), but at the same time getting some (smog legal) power out of my motor since I have it pulled and on an engine stand.:whiteflag

Advice is greatly appreciated, as I know how to put "non- smog" legal motor together, I am just faced with the difficult task of creating a smog handicapped vehicle with some sort of power.:beer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Summit Racing has a pretty good selection of SMOG compliant parts for small block Fords. Is your motor carbed or fuel injected? This is a bolt-on but summit does sell smog compliant shorty headers and I think, not entirely sure, but doesn't Edelbrock have 50 state legal heads too. Just go to www.summitracing.com, put in your specs in the vehicle search and I bet there is a lot of SMOG compliant stuff you could find.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Harry. I have some Hedman Headers that are smog compliant, that I will probably put back on. I am more or less looking to do motor work like cam, cylinder work, anything inside if its legal.
I guess I am mainly asking What I can swap, bore, stroke or add.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would port match the stock heads and go with all new valves, springs etc. maybe hardened seats it you got the money or get some GT-40. To buy new performance heads would eat up the $2k budget.

I was going to go with THIS CAM myself, not sure if they are CARB, but I doubt if it will effect emissions.

I would bore/hone just enough to clean up the cylinders.

Should be able to get a nice aftermarket CARB legal intake, but not necessary. Do the sixlitre tuneup.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would port match the stock heads and go with all new valves, springs etc. maybe hardened seats it you got the money or get some GT-40. To buy new performance heads would eat up the $2k budget.

I was going to go with THIS CAM myself, not sure if they are CARB, but I doubt if it will effect emissions.

I would bore/hone just enough to clean up the cylinders.

Should be able to get a nice aftermarket CARB legal intake, but not necessary. Do the sixlitre tuneup.
good call, I like that cam alot, might go with it. Fairly close to stock too :rockon
For sure on the Bore/ Hone, and intake- I might wait until after smog and get a 4bbl intake/ carb.

Thanks for the useful advice!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would stay stock on the bottom end, like Gacknar stated, the heads are where you are going to gain. If you go used on some ported and polished heads and used on the intake you should have a pretty good set-up for ~$2000. If your bottom end is in good shape you might could reuse the crank and pistons and save more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Even if you bore/stroke it, it will not make much more power without more flow out of the heads IMHO. I had a cheby 350 that was bored with a cam, yada, yada, yada, and it still had the stock heads. It ran a little better than a stocker but not near as well as if it would have had a good set of heads. With an air pump (internal combustion engine) flow is everything, along with compression, but you understand what I mean.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even if you bore/stroke it, it will not make much more power without more flow out of the heads IMHO. I had a cheby 350 that was bored with a cam, yada, yada, yada, and it still had the stock heads. It ran a little better than a stocker but not near as well as if it would have had a good set of heads. With an air pump (internal combustion engine) flow is everything, along with compression, but you understand what I mean.
got it. Makes sense.

Now - any idea where I can get a legit set of used heads for reasonable price :-]

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I am sure there are smog legal aftermarket heads for Cali. Lots of manufacturers get CARB numbers on their parts, too big of a market to neglect them. AFR, TW, GT40 irons, and GT40Y aluminums. (DOn't think the X are carb certified but may be wrong). I am sure the others do too, eldebrock, world, etc.

I would spend my head money here instead of working the stockers. The return on money invested/power gained will certainly lean this way.

tim

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I am getting the impression that i should simply 'clean' the stock parts in the bottom end, and replace the cylinder heads.

Any tips on where to buy some, other than the mustang forum. Summit seems to have kits only

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
more power, need to keep it smog friendly? stroke it and since everyone is saying heads dump some cash in them,.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts