Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
so how do you know when you have offically been taking waaaay too long on your build? i'll show you....

that is a bird's nest in my engine bay....lil egg and all! yeah, i'm not killing this thing speed-wise as i'd like to.

oh well, a lil more progress. the oilburner is finally not covered in oil!

it will be fully painted with the new gaskets in on tuesday!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
the SAS is underway simultaneously with the diesel swap. i have the axle mounted but still need to clean it up/build it. i will eventually do gears and lockers but right now i am just rebuilding seals, hubs, kingpins, etc.

so to start my leaf SAS, i boxed the frame horns. the first steps included squaring off the frame top and front to make a cleaner "box"

i did basically the same thing on the front. i went so far as to weld the piece at the top on the backside of the frame horn, then heat it and beat it into shape to be flush with the horn. i then of course, plated it.

once both sides were boxed, i mocked up the crossmember and front leaf hangers. the crossmember is a piece of 2" x 4" x 1/4" cut to size and the hangers are 4" x 1/4" square tubing cut at approx 4" long, then drilled and a relief cut out of the back for the leaf spring. the inside dimension of the 4" square tubing is exactly the right size to fit the F350 leafs!

here are a couple shots of my welds. keep in mind, i am a beginner welder and have honed my skills on this project. these welds are a far cry from where i started not long ago....

here it is almost complete, just needs a few more gussets...i put a total of three per side. 1-crossmember to spring hanger, 2-crossmember to boxed frame horn, and 3- spring hanger to underside of frame horn.

and all done...primered

more shots of the different gussets
#1 and #2

then, the other side...
#1 and #2

all done...look at that clean frame! wonder how long it will stay that pretty?

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
thing is really coming together, its got its new power plant sitting between the frame rails. i know this because josh helped me work on mt pos today, so ben and i gave him a hand with that beast. it went in so easy and fast. look's good sitting there.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Lookin good. How was the IDI running when you pulled it? Those things are tanks. I remember pulling mine talk about a pain in the ass if you dont pull the core support.:popc1:
ran great when pulled, just some minor oil leaks but that's to be expected with a 260k mile motor. the diesel is a monster, i can't imagine trying to pull it with the core support still in place...that's just crazy talk!

nice work! Really like it and cant wait to see how it goes.
dam i wish i had those skills
thanks guys!

No pictures it didn't happen!
you're right, it didn't happen...mark is lying to you! :toothless

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
damn i was just trying to make people like you josh. thanks for throwing me under the bus
i'm there for ya, bro! :thumbup

ok...here ya go

still got a couple things to wrap up, but my bronco has a new heart! plannin on installing my new smf, clutch, pressure plate followed by the tranny and transfer-case on tuesday!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Looking good man...Question though, maybe I missed it, but how fab intensive was this swap? Did you have to make motor mounts, or were you able to reuse the ones from the 350?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey i am also intrested in what motor mounts you used. Also how did you bolt up the rear leaf springs? I plan on doing a diesel swap for my mud bronco and trying to gather information.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Looking good man...Question though, maybe I missed it, but how fab intensive was this swap? Did you have to make motor mounts, or were you able to reuse the ones from the 350?
no, you didn't miss it i did not show much of it. by swap, i think you mean diesel, rt? that swap is not fab intensive at all, but the leaf d60 swap requires a bit more.

Hey i am also intrested in what motor mounts you used.
the diesel swap is actually quite simple. the f250 and bronco frames and engine crossmembers are very similar. the motor mounts i used are the stock originals off of the f250. the f250 frame however has a motor mount, mounting plate on each side that is removeable-4 bolts per side. i took those plates off and lined them up on the bronco frame, there are 1 or 2 bolt holes on the bronco frame that line up, so there is no guess work. the plate on the passenger side just needs 2 holes drilled in the bronco engine crossmember and that is it! the driver side is where the only fab work is required. the bronco frame has a big hole on that side that iirc is for oil filter access. i had to cut a small piece of 1/4" plate to fill in a portion of the top of that hole to give the mounting plate something to bolt to. that piece was only about 6 inches across and was half round. i cut it to fit, welded it in, then drilled the holes needed. that was pretty much it!

Also how did you bolt up the rear leaf springs?
not sure about your questions here....i didn't do anything with the rear springs yet. i already have 4" springs on there from the original lift. the only thing i have done thus far is pull the 9" rear axle and bolt in the sterling 10.25. i did have to buy larger u-bolts as the sterling axle has larger diameter axle tubes. i will be building shackle flip brackets to achieve the additional lift i need to match the front. i hope to get that done in the next couple of days.

21 - 40 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.