Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve become the lucky owner of an very tidy 85 bronco. I’m in Australia so it’s RH drive. I’m not too sure what fuel (gas) costs over there but it’s $5.30 Australian per Gallon. So as some of you keen forum goers may remember I was pestering with many questions regarding the injection system on my 302. Long story short I ended up swapping it out for a new carby system. She’s running great. Sounds great but fuel is killing me. Because I’m an idiot I use it as a daily driver and it’s quite expensive. But I believe if you own an old car then you should drive and enjoy it, not keep it locked away in a shed.

More evidence I’m an idiot is I’ve began to dream of turning this rig into a long distance tourer (overlanding). Some shorter distance stuff too. I’m building this thing into a travelling / camping / over landing weapon. Exactly the best version of a bronco I can. These things are unbelievably good looking and quite rare over here.

For those that don’t know Australia is fucking huge, with a very large percentage of the population living on the coast. Much of our land is very remote, you could drive for two days with out seeing another soul. The Toyota land cruisers dominate in a big big way. They are indestructible and super reliable and economical.
IMO one of the best diesels Toyota made were a 12HT turbo diesel. This is a fairly common opinion all over the world really it seems. Strangely enough they only made them for I think a four year run. It’s not unheard of getting a million kms (620,000) miles.

Anyways I’m planning on running a 12ht preferably with an auto. I guess I’ll keep the original axles as I’m lead to believe they are quite strong.

I want to put as many toys and tricks into this thing as possible whilst keeping the thing true to her looks as possible.

Anyway I’ll post updates as things happen for anyone keen to play along at home.

Happy to take any advise or criticism. I don’t know a lot about these beauties apart from they are in the top 3 best looking 4x4s of all time!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah she’s pretty original. 144 6 motor and 3 speed manual column box. Just lowered and 15 inch wheels that take original caps as I have put disc brake front in her.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the wheels on your Bronco. Any info about them?
No sorry I don’t know much about them at all yet, haven’t even taken one off yet to check brakes. I’m going to guess they were a factory wheel over here in Australia

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
You have one of the nicest '85's I've seen, super clean by the looks of those few pictures..While I totally get the desire to overland, it looks so good stock, it's almost a shame to spoil it...Having said that with the price of petrol switching over to diesel seems like a good economical move if you plan on driving it a lot..have you considered LPG as well?? Not sure what the cost is down under, but it's got to be cheaper than gas..Keep us posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You have one of the nicest '85's I've seen, super clean by the looks of those few pictures..While I totally get the desire to overland, it looks so good stock, it's almost a shame to spoil it...Having said that with the price of petrol switching over to diesel seems like a good economical move if you plan on driving it a lot..have you considered LPG as well?? Not sure what the cost is down under, but it's got to be cheaper than gas..Keep us posted.
Thank you mate that’s a big compliment. Yes she is beautiful and yes I intend to keep her looking as close to her looks now just with some practical additions which I will be working hard to keep them discreet or atleast look right. As far as lpg goes down here it was all the rage for the bigger motor cars but then lpg price went through the roof so now it’s just not that viable. And when you go out travelling it’s much less common and available. I’m not too fussed engine swap wise as it won’t detract from the look, but yea diesel is looking like the best option for her, I have a short list of engines the Toyota motor I mentioned and 4bt are both right up there. Of course they both aren’t cheap!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts