Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As seen in a previous post got me a steal of deal getting an 85 bronco for 100 dollars with a brand new 3g in the cab just bought off ebay for 95 saw the paypal receipt. He was getting rid of it for since it was burning up starters. Fixed the reason it was burning up starters within 30 minutes after I got it home. Got a brand new set of bushwacker cut out flares for 100 dollars. Still going through the wiring at the moment. I am trying to make it so I have an ignition switch with a push button starter since the guy I bought it from cut a bunch of the ignition wires off has anyone done this if so do you having your wiring guide as to which of wires you used as the ignition trying to narrow it down just taking forever. Plan on cutting the rear flares today and the front ones after I get a new driver side front fender. Also I have been doing some searches to put a york compressor in the truck, but haven't seen to many write ups on how to modify an 85 bronco set up to get the york in there. I am going to take the stock ac completely out of the truck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey, let me know how that push button starter whoo ya works. I'm literaly in the middle of doing the same thing to my 95. I got an idea from a freind who rolls a 78. And since my alarm is AFU, and my key switch is ALSO afu (what can i say..it's 13 years old. I'm not complaining, it seems to be the only problem) Anyway, I guess it's more of a "urban bronco", daily driver, etc. But I'm putting a toggle switch and push button start on the right side of the steering wheel. Flip, push, go. (never liked keys anyway)

Anyway, I THINK...its fairly simple to do so, (I have help, not doing it alone) but as I understand it, just run the wire from the start solenoid to the push button.

The only problem I'm running into is getting ride of the key switch, altogether (you'll never know it was there) So I've gotta run ALL the power thru one toggle swtich. If your keeping the key (as in..turn the key, push the button), I think it's fairly simple.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

This is the solenoid wiring mess that causes the previous owners starter problem that I have now fixed temporarily without putting the new wires on it. I will be putting new wires on it this weekend most likely. The battery ground is hooked into one of the fender bolts. the clear braided copper wire on the far right and closest to you is the wire that goes to the starter and was welded to the exhaust manifold.

The bush button start as it currently sits now. Where the starter switch is now is where I plan on mounting all my toggle switch stuff.

This is the main wiring harness for the ignition I have to separate out these wires so I can put them on toggle switches and the wire the push button start up better then it is now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hey i'm new here but i just did this to my 84 bronco about 2 days ago..all you need is 30 feet of 16 gauge wire a swich and the push button wich you allready have.run a wire from the hot side of the solinoid to the switch run two wires from the switch one to the coil and one to the push button then run the last wire from the push button to the little bolt on the solinoid..after that get a hot battery flip the switch and hit it it should turn over and crank just fine just fine

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many amps was your switch? Also, do you have pics of your wire going to your coil and how you hooked it up exactly. Thanks for all the info thomas

·
Registered
76 Posts
i went to advanced and got a 30amp toggle switch with a green light on it when it was on "on"but a 15 or 20 would work cause its not pullin very much power.anytime 78 beast

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have a push button on mine as well. from when my nss went out. I figured that it was less white trash than popping the hood and starting it with a screw driver everywhere I went. It was straight forward as hell you just run 2 wires from the solinoid to your button. start it with a screw driver to find out where to hook you wires up. Just try not to get them crossed when tou hook them up. As far as deleating your ignition switch just run a wire from the hot side of you coil to a switch, then run another wire from the switch to the solinoid and vola switch on push and go. The easiest way to determine where to hook it to the coil is have someone turn the truck over with screw driver or your starter button and run a wire from the battery side of your soleniod, and touch it on the coil prongs. The one that makes it start is where you hook your wire. just run it to a switch then run another wire to the battery side of the solinoid and it should work. Did this on my 65 to make it start without the key that I didn't have.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my fender flares today I will be putting them on this weekend most likely. I will add pictures after the install is complete.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

All I did was crimp some male flat connectors on the red wires in the pictures below and the pushed them into the old connector and hooked them to the switch and the correct points acc, off, start, power. It was easy to find what wires do what just use in ohms meter and test which wires are hot all of the time and which wires go directly to the starter, and so on.

This is the switch and how I wired the back of it.

Just another pic of the switch I am going to cut the compartment out of the dash piece and put a piece of stainless steel there and mount it there.

Just some of the 208 pics more to come during the rebuild.

Just some pics of the Harley after the paint was done.

Some pics of my dads paint

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the 208 I found the problem with it the plastic shims on the shift fork are completely missing. So I am going to get the master rebuild kit from jbg and I will post more pics during the rebuild and more how to stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts